Range Day, Finally

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    My wife and I finally got to the range yesterday (Range 15 on JBLM). Decided to make it a pistol day only. My wife wanted a pistol for EDC but has little experience with them. A few weeks back I got her a Sig Sauer SP2022 that she really, really liked. After about a week she discovered that the double stacker was too fat and then really, really liked the Sig P239, so I bought her that one. We spent a lot of time taking the pistol apart, learning the parts names, how to clean it, etc. We also used snap caps for practicing trigger control, stance, breathing, and follow through, not to mention clearing stoppages and malfunctions.

Anyway, on the range at 10yards I let her blast away about a hundred rounds of .22LR from the S&W 22A1 I have to get her used to actually having a pistol go off, then switched her to the Sig P239, first few rounds the added recoil threw her, but got her calmed down, practiced trigger control and follow through and had her nailing 8 inch targets with everything in the nine ring or bull.

I had my two 1911s and ran about 80 round through each gun, then thought about the Sig SP2022 that was in my range box. I was out of .45 ACP so broke out the Sig. I tried hard not to like the gun...I mean it's not a 1911, but it ran close to 200 rounds without so much as a hiccup and it's an accurate little gun.

Great way to spend a morning. Having a wife that cleans her own guns is a plus as well.

cebe, Bob Rankin and constructeur like this.
  2. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    I shot a few rounds of skeet yesterday myself, 'twas a great day to be outside doing what you enjoy!

Ron Eagle Elk and Upton O like this.
  3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Gotta love range time with the better half.

Ron Eagle Elk likes this.
  4. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

I ran two rounds through my rifle the other day out in the brush at coyotes. Went one for two! The one I just barely missed was at 535 yards. Good for you taking the lady out to shoot! Believe it or not I love going shooting with my wife.

5. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    My better half can handle a rifle with efficiency, but her hand gun skills were lacking severely. That will be remedied. If she's going to have a CPL she needs to be proficient with her gun as far as safety, accuracy and legal aspects. Now that I'm getting older and my eye sight is starting to go, I would be irresponsible if I didn't make damn sure she could defend herself if needed.

Bob, what are using for the pups?

Bob Rankin likes this.
  6. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Ron, do you want to have some great fun with a shotgun? Go shoot the "wobble skeet" range at JBLM, it'll sharpen your eye for bird hunting, guaranteed. If you go, say hello to the Range Master (David) for me, he's a great guy and a true sportsman.

7. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Hey Ron
    I'm using a remington 700 243 with extras :) a bunch of extras:)

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Bob, I've shown this before, but this is my Remington 700 with a few extras, chambered in 30-06, Shilen Barrel, trued action, etc. It has a new Vortex Viper 6-24X50 sitting on it with a set of 20 MOA rings. The 700 can be modified so many ways, it's just a fun gun to toy around with.

[​IMG]

Alex MacDonald and Bob Rankin like this.
  9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Nice toy, Ron!