Ranger & Jock Scott

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave McNeese, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Haven't read the book in awhile. But wasn't there a Colin Simpson (think that's his name) in Joseph Bates book who was only like 15 at time of publishing, but was mentored in dressing atlantics. I do believe in the book it mentioned he normally dressed them in hand then a vise (picture of him showed him at a vise I do believe). Only reason this stuck out, is because he did such lovely work for his age, and in hand to boot. Would love to be mentored like that.

2. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Davy Earl,

Was Belarmino Martinez the tyer you were thinking of? I believe he tied from the hand, fashioned his own tools, and used tying thread garnered from womens' stockings. If I remember too, the heads of some of his flies, which had a beautiful sienna color, were finished with an automotive paint.

Hywel

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Hywel-yes, that was the man,can't believe I forgot his name- I certainly will never forget that article and his methods/creations--burned in memory for sure.thanks alot- owe you a beer

Davy :beer2:

4. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Hey Davy Earl,

Glad I could help a little!

Belarmino Martinez is one of my all-time favorite tyers.

If you haven't already checked it out, Hans Weilenmann has a page on Martinez's work on his website.

Ironic that his name should come up...I was actually dressing a rendition of his "Hot Orange" when I read your post!

Hywel

5. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

Davy

I do believe that I read that particular article, but unfortunately I don't remember much of it. My copies are also in storage. bawling:
    I still have a good collection of flies from many unnamed men. Like Syd Glasso they didnt care to be known, not in print anyway. I got to be with Wes many times and still think his flies were BEST quality flies. Also spent a few times with Ed Haas in the 70's and he was sure a TOP tyer, but not much on fishing. Much like Polly Rosborough, tyed a good fly, but didn't fish very much. He let anglers speak about his flies and A.J. McClaine made him famous.
    It's unfortunate what happened in the mid 70-'s, that many great angler/tyers would not publish their flies. Dick Surrette begged many of these unknowns to allow him to publish their work in his magazine, to no avail. I'm not sure what they were afraid of, or if they just did not want any notoreity.
    McNeese

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dave, just a guess, but maybe some of these guys were hardcore fisherman, and just wanted to share the flies with them, not everyone. The "secret flies" stash. I have friends who send me some every now and then. One friend sent me a fly he's been slaying them on the Rogue with, but said "don't show anyone". For them, it may not be how well the flies are tied, maybe it's they don't want the patterns out. Just a guess. :confused:

7. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Dave, your so right,my teacher - nevr seemed to desire any - he tyed plates for collectors but privately-taught a few classes, and mentored me.I know he tyed a few shows for Ed Rice but that was about it.But he simply shyed away from any notoreity.I know Sheweys book uncovered a few of these "unknowns".

Speaking of hand tying,years ago I practiced at it and got to where I could tye an acceptable Blue Charm in my hands.Key word is acceptable,for fishing that is.Jeez.my arthritic fingers today would never be able to catch and hold the threads and tinsels I would think.

Dave-When you fished with Wes did he just name his fly by number? #1,#3,etc ??Or was that someone else in my spotty memory?

Davy

8. Dave McNeese

Davy,

Wes and I never actually fished together, we just hung out and yakked about the old days. We traded flies, materials and b.s. often. I can tell you, however, that he did speak of his flies with names and not numbers.
    I'm not sure who you're thinking of. Wish I could help.
    DM

9. StuFarnham

StuFarnham Member

Home Page:
    Since we are on the subject of Syd and his flies -- here are photos of three, courtesy of Art Lingren, from the collection of Bob Taylor in Vancouver, BC: a Thunder & Lightning -- on a #4 hook; a Courtesan; and an unnamed hackle tip spey in the style of his Black Heron.

Stu

Attached Files:

10. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

If anyone's interested, you can usually get a chance to see Harry tie in hand at the FFF show in Bellevue (Feb I think?).

11. Dave McNeese

It's a very fine silver twist.

Absolutely. There were thousands of flies in the box that this Ranger came to me in. Wing profiles were much lower than they are today.

Blacker was self taught. He was the owner of a tackle store where many aristocratic Atlantic Salmon fisherman came to purchase flies. He responded to their requests for "more outlandish, more color!" In "The Art of The Atlantic Salmon Fly" by Joe Bates, there is a collection of flies ties by Syd Glasso that mimic Blackers. I have a copy of the book if you would like to borrow, or I can photograph the page.

McNeese

12. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I know if you can photograph the page some of us that live a ways away sure would appreciate it Dave...

Thanks

13. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Media:
    Gentlemen,
    May I suggest that you attend the Fly Fishing Show Feb 11, 12, 13, 2005
    Meydenbauer Center, Bellevue , Washington:
    One of the notable tyers listed is Harry Lemire and he does indeed do
    Full Dress Atlantic Salmon Flies using the traditional in hand method.

14. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

Dave
    Great pictures, keepem coming. I like the low profile of the D ranger
    as well. With the respect to the earlier post, Its alot easier to tie a 3" ranger
    with a low profile than a 2" one. I did find the Jock Scott interesting, It looks
    like the turkey under wing in a reverse fashion than that used by most tiers today. Meaning the slip that is near the camera would be the one on the far side if I were tying it. Its also interesting to that the underwing appears more dominate than the "main wing". Not seeing the fly in person its hard to see if it started out that way.

Thanks again
    speyflyfisher

15. Dave McNeese

Ok, here is the picture of a page out of Joe Bates book. These are Syds rendition of Blackers patterns. I believe they are very true to form.

16. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

RE: Blacker from Bates via Glasso
    Beautiful, Thanks, Must have this book. Finding it is easy, finding a great deal on it is not.

TC

17. davpot

davpot davpot

Home Page:
    Hi TC: Sorry for the Long delay in answering, but it took until recently to acquire "The flies of William Blacker" by Bob Fransden (Aussie). Its available on Amazon. Bob is a frequent contributor to the "classicflytying.com" web forum. amd has made a lengthy study of Blackers patterns. Hope this helps!
    davpot

18. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I am unable to view any of the flies. Only says ATTACHED THUMBNAILS but there is nothing there. Anyone else having this problem. Sure want to view the flies. Thanks.

19. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The files are gone. They were lost back in 2005 when the site transitioned to a new server. Sorry about that, but just know that it isn't you, just the discussion threads from 2005 and older.

Chris

20. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

:):):):):):) Thanks Chris. Of course, I never thought of looking at the date. I ASSUMED (and we all know what happens when we do that) it was current. Almost took an axe to my computer.
    Thanks,
    Jackd