Rattan grip?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by James Mello, Dec 5, 2005.

1. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    So I'm thinking of doing a rattan grip on my next rod, just to screw around. Does anyone have a rod with a grip made of Rattan? If so, do you like it? Is is comfortable? Does it take special care? If not, I guess I just take the plunge and let people know how things turn out, but it would be nice to leverage someone elses past experience :)

-- Cheers
    -- James
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +508 / 0
    Sorry for my ignorance. What is Rattan....type of wood?
  3. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
  4. islandfisherman islandfisherman

Anacortes,Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    James, The next rod you are thinking about doing this on,might I know the person you are bilding it for?...if so,WOW, that is neat stuff!!!...Alan
  5. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    OK...thanks. Yes I have seen that stuff before on old vintage type rods....and salmon mooching rods with wood handles too. Cool looks.
  6. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Yeah... you might ;) I'm trying to figure out whether this will fit the hand really well, and if it can hold up to the rigours of bass/salt :) If so, I think this may be the way to go. If not, then a regular cork grip it is going to be! :)
  7. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    It should be able to hold up for salt...I have seen them on several salmon salt rods...but it was always the upper grip part (above reel seat) and then a longer tapered wood handle with artsy cuts/grooves. My dad has a couple salmon rods with wood handles (not rattan type)....they must varnish the stuff pretty heavy because still after 50 plus years they look good...used but good.
  8. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Do you remember if they felt slick when wet? I'm mostly worried about blistering in the hand after a long day of casting, espcially if when wet it's a bit lubricated! :(
  9. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    James I never had problems with wood handles/grips...but then again I was trolling/mooching...not fly fishing. You should post this on rod building site (if you have not) and possibly start a new thread and use the word cane in it...because there are a few cane addicts with good knowledge...they can add to your questions...and possibly direct you somewhere for more knowledge on the subject. I definitely think it is worth exploring.....awesome looking handles/grips IMHO.
  10. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Yeah, it's been posted to the rodbuilding.org site. I wanted the experiece of fishermen on whether it was good or not :) I can also do thinly sliced cork and pigmented glue to get a similar effect, but it's a *PAIN IN THE ASS* to cut cork rings into friggin 1/8" rings..... At any rate, I think from your response alone that it is probably something I should give a shot. I can get Cane for like $8 for 275 feet, so it's not an expense thing :)

Thanks for the info Porter!