rattlers... what to do?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mpirak, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +368 / 0
    Dogs can be trained to leave snakes alone killing them is not necessary
  2. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +677 / 0
    I never saw any either until I had my eyes checked & got a pair of glasses
  3. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    First time I saw a 6 inch garter snake on the john day I pissed myself, then I saw a rattler on the Deschutes and started wading a lot.

I hate snakes
  4. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    2 things: 1. dont run anywhere cause you might run into another snake, 2 . stomping the ground is good but it will scare and\or alert the fish. mike w
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    THAT is a beautiful critter and an excellent photo.
  6. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    Years ago, as a friend and I drove along the gravel road into Rocky Ford, we heard gunfire up ahead. As we rounded the corner we saw a guy, beside his truck, .45 in hand, blazing away. He told us that he'd seen this "rattler" crossing the road and jumped out with his .22 loaded with snake shot cartridges. Perceiving that this wasn't getting the job done he dove back into the truck and came out blasting away with his .45. He'd really shot that poor bullsnake to pieces.
  7. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Old Man,

In the 12 years I lived in Montana (1 in Hot Springs, 1 in Geraldine, 5.5 in Cascade, .5 in Billings, 4 in Boulder) I only saw 4 rattlers, and 2 of those were on the gravel road between Cascade and Sun River. Regarding Maiden Rock Canyon on the Big Hole, it was one of my favorite places to fish when I lived in Boulder since it was only a 45 minute drive via I-15. I never saw one when I was fishing and I used to start fishing it as soon as it opened in mid-May, often starting in late afternoon and fishing until dark. I did see one of the 3 I saw in those 12 years I lived in Montana upstream of Wise River at the state fishing access just downstream of the Hwy bridge. He was swimming accross the river about 15' from where I was wading. He went on his way, and I kept on fishing.
  8. Steve Vaughn Member

Richland, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Since moving to Eastern WA I've been on the look out for rattlers. Kind of looking forward to seeing one. When I lived in Florida and fished out of a kayak a lot, people used to ask if I was nervous about encountering gators. Not really, but water moccasins really made me nervous. Those damn things have no problem heading for you and climbing right in your boat. Used hear stories of guys shooting holes in their boats trying to kill ones that dropped or climbed in.
  9. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +717 / 2
    Jump up and down while screaming like a little girl. Make sure you wet yourself at the same time.

Or you could stop, look around, and then back up. After that, walk around the snake and continue on your way. Maybe even snap a few pictures when you get 2 steps away from that scary little beast.
  10. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Member

Central Oregon / Maupin, OR
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Steve Vaughn: agree with you on the cottonmouths and watermoccasins. Most of them avoided humans, but there were always a few that were aggressive. They aren't very poisonous compared to rattlers, but still. I have had them come right up to the boat. Even worse were the ones that hung around the boat ramps at night.
  11. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    The only time I had a rattler strike at me was duck hunting in the Seeps. I love eastern Washington.

My wife called me at work to tell me there was a rattlesnake in our garage. So....I told her to throw the cat into the garage and after a half-hour open the garage door. Snake was gone by the time I came home from work that evening.

Take a cat fishing with you at Rocky Ford. Cat wins....everything is ok. Snake wins....your only out a cat.
  12. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0

Wow, my prayers are answered. Now I've got to get a couple of rattlesnakes back over here from the east side. I imagine I'll have to tape the cats feet together, though, I'd hate for the snake to get hurt.
  13. Stan Wright Member

Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Snake, what's a snake?
    Aloha,
    Stan
    Seriously, You get a hiking stick and extend it out in front of you as you walk... like a sight impaired person. That way you won't step on one anyway. Worked for my wife the year we spent on the mainland while fishing, I mean finishing school. LOL
  14. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    I wear snake gators when walking to and from fishing areas. You can get them at most outfitters. I also keep a snake bite kit in my pack, just in case.
  15. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    While fishing a desert creek with a friend, we saw, shot, and killed 8 rattlers in one day. Amazing amount of snakes around there. We picked them all up on the way back and took a few pics of them on the hood of the truck. Moral of the story, look down and keep your hand on your glock...
  16. Skeena88 Member

Covington WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Conner, why did you kill them?
  17. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +205 / 0
    I'm with Skeena88 on this one. What possible reason would you have to shoot and kill eight snakes? Makes absolutely zero sense to me. Just because you can, doesn't make it right.

MB
  18. fifafu Guest

Ratings: +1 / 0
    The only place that has multiples of highly aggressive rattle snakes are in the remote river valleys. They really seem to be getting thick on the Klickitat and Grand Ronde rivers. I hate walking in on any of those rivers, you just know they are everywhere and are known to bite at wader boots without warning. I agree that killing them is the wrong. Staying away from the infested areas is probably the safest thing to do. I have never seen one myself but that's what I've heard.

I took a picture of a Rattler snake crap. As you can see by their diet the snakes are big over here.

View attachment 48902
  19. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +963 / 1
    I think he only shot 8 snakes because he ran out of ammo. Don't be beating this horse (snake) just because someone chose to shoot them.

I shoot mice. Anyone want to speak up for them? Personally, I chase snakes away but if someone chooses to shoot them that's their choice.
  20. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    This is a very interesting topic. First off, the snake don't want anything to do with you. and the snake will probably just leave that location once it figures out it's been discovered.

The rattle snake is a pit viper, and like most snakes its tongue tells it more then it's eyes, If the snake detects a small warm object, it goes into the strike and kill mode for something to eat, if the snake detects a large warm object, it then goes into the defense mode and will strike in self defense.

The rest is up to you, pick a fight with the snake, or go fishing?

Happy walking