rattlers... what to do?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mpirak, Feb 22, 2012.

1. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Yea Kerry! That was our camp guest and he wasn't too far from where you pitched your tent. No need to thank me for saving your life...all in a days fun. :)

The blackberry bushes around here are much worse than a rattler...
  2. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    If I found a snake in my back yard I would call the right people to have it taken away. The snake gets to have a life also. If I was walking in the woods, and found one I would walk around him, that's his area, not mine. If I went and killed everything I didn't like, I'm sure they would have me put in a small dark cell and pump sunshine to me. Somebody that kills things just to be killing something is just sick and stupid. I'm glad the snakes don't have guns. now after all that being said, if it came between me and a snake I would kill the snake in a heart beat, but only if I had too, not cause I thought I was cool.......When you go to the woods, there might be snakes there, That's where they live.

my 2 cents
  3. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Connor,

Since you don't like snakes you might want to avoid fishing at "Rattlesnake Lake" when you move over here to the wet side. :clown:
  4. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    cb3fish,

You might have a bigger problem (rodents?) other than snakes if they are in your back yard. They are there because that's where the food is.

Find the source of thier food, remove it, and the snakes will move on.
  5. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
  6. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +422 / 0
    While Hillman may have planted Himalaya blackberries, most sources agree that Luther Burbank was the real villain. He deliberately introduced his "Himalayan Giant" cutivar in Vancouver in 1885. It quickly became popular among dairy and other farmers who planted it around ponds and along creeks to keep their livestock from bogging down and drowning, and birds did the rest.
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +200 / 0
    Preston:

Thank you much for your incredible knowledge and input.

MB
  8. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    I'm not sure who the right people are....but I am SURE that the Sheriff's dispatch office would be laughing hard AND their next comment would be "Sir, it is YOUR rattlesnake...good luck."
  9. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
  10. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    I was just teasing on the rattlesnake. I lived in California in the early 1970's and then moved to Idaho. The levels of personal responsibility are very different.

In California the local utility insisted on lighting your pilot lights in the fall. Not suppose to touch the furnace. So I called the local utility in Idaho and they were dumbfounded. Light your own damm pilot light!!!

That winter during a bad snowstorm I called the Idaho State Patrol to see if the interstate was closed. The response I got was "you want to drive, go ahead. we do not close the interstate". I suppose if it got bad enough you could just take a snowmobile.

I do kill the rattlesnakes that hunker down on my property. Run them over, shoot them, or send out the cat into the garage.

Most of them are just passing through, however.
  11. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0

Now that is a great statement for "walking the walk". Well done, Evan.
  12. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    8 pages on rattlers...? I'd like to see how a thread about the real snakes would go. You know, the one's running for POTUS.

:)
  13. LCnSac Active Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Seen dozens of 'em around Maupin. I too carry a stick and thump the ground. Not too worried about them.

My biggest fear is float tubing and colliding with one crossing the water. I've seen several but have only had one close call but since then I'm always turning around and looking for them. I don't know if they'd try to mount the tube but I'm not going to conduct a lot of experiments intentionally. I am nearly certain they would in open water as they always crawl on to floating wood. Several years ago a girl dropped when skiing Folsom Lake and grabbed a floating log. Estimates were she got hit by about five snakes and she didn't make it.
  14. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    Piss on em !! That's right whip it out and piss on em. It's an old Indian trick. Works every time !!!
  15. Chuckanduck Member

Meeker, CO
    I have a buddy who harasses them with a stick until they try to crawl away. Then he grabs them by the tail and slaps their head on a rock. I personally don't approve, but I am in the minority around here so I keep my mouth shut. Live and let live and rattlers at least warn you which is more than mountain lions do!
    Oh, did I mention my buddy is nuts?
  16. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +641 / 0
    I'm curious just how good of a buddy this guy is, Because at some point if he keeps this behaviour up , He'll be asking you to suck the poison out of some body part. if you mess with any critter long enough you going to get bit thats just how Karma is!!!!!
  17. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Did you hear that from an old Indian or a young one?
    In either case, it sounds like some kind of snake on snake crime...
    Travis Bille likes this.
  18. TonyZ Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    When in rattler country, I chamber my fishing sidearm's first 3 rounds with shotshell, I've seen them in 9mm, .45, and even .22. Or, get yourself a double shot SnakeSlayer chambered in 410
  19. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +861 / 0
    I think it's time to drag out my "stock answer" for everything here. "just shoot `em"... Works on hippies, too!
    TonyZ likes this.
  20. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    You're turning into a cantankerous ol' sum bitch aren't ya?!!!:p