Rattlesnake 09 - To All Powerbaiters: Don't be caught with your shorts down

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by rattlesnakeflyguy, May 5, 2009.

1. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Powerbaiters and Rattle

Good to know. WDFW Officer Chris Moszeter is on board for full enforcement this season in conjunction with the fly guys. After just e-mailing him, everything looks perfect for full enforcement on the lake and in the adjacent area. See you Saturday!

2. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    It's good to know the state is very proactive about protecting their 8 inch planters! Too bad I was only checked by a gamie twice in 30 years fishing the Sauk on and off, NEVER on the OP and ONCE on the Sky by John Ericson. (Great guy and hell of a warden) Never ONCE in the tons of other salmon and steelhead rivers and creeks I hiked into constantly. Understaffed, underpaid and sent to keep Rattlesnake Lake free from poachers and evil doers! What bullshit. :rolleyes:

RSFG love the passion! Why don't you really get into winter steelheading and clean up the OP next year! Duffer

3. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Media:
    I agree, the little enforcement we have is in the wrong damn places. What about the guys taking wild fish back to their truck without punchin the card several times a season. Pretty retarded if I have anything to say about it.

4. Trent

Trent Ugly member

iagree I have only ran into a warden twice out on a river, and that was at Fortson Hole and up on the NooK. I've never seen one on the Skagit, Suak, or the Sky. Though I have seen them plenty of times at the put and take lakes. A few years ago out at Armstrong, I was checked 3 days in a row by the same warden.

5. herl

herl Member

I got checked on the Sauk this year! - My first time ever since I moved to WA 4.5 years ago.

One upside to busting guys at the local stocked lake is that they are probably the same guys that poach elsewhere.. of course, this may just send them elsewhere to do their poaching, but hopefully it turns them off fishing altogether..

6. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Sorry to inform you, but that is just wishful thinking man.

7. SmokinAces

SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

I also agree that it would be nice to see our resources in other places besides planted lakes but the truth of the matter is that they can write more tickets (generate more money) by patroling and places where there are a bunch of anglers in a central location.

8. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i got checked twice in one day on the OP this past february!

once on the queets and once on the hoh!

but those are my only encounters with gamies in 15 years fishing washington waters. pretty lame.

9. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I can't but help wondering if venting on this website is just preaching to the choir. Most people here are pretty aware of the state of things and keen on conservation and abiding by the law. Then again, I can think of at least one or more other sites where venting would go further in educating the masses.

That's just my two cents.

BTW: Check out the second post on this webpage: http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportList.aspx?id=464&t=1 At least the word is getting out "the hard way."

--Dave E.

10. rattlesnakeflyguy

Most of the gamies come up from the Snoqualmie River or Cedar River in the summer. Most poachies are not like this guy -- they bring the lighter to cut their line when being approached by gamies...that's even worse...fine goes up, etc. In addition, any fish in your possession = much larger fine. Truth be told, poaching is poaching. I do feel bad for those who truly are not informed, but for everyone of them, there are ten times that many who poach with full knowledge of what they're doing. It has been expressed continuously, that, they don't mind coming out. Until that tune changes, it'll be russian roulette for those who think it's sly behavior. Resource allocation is an interesting subject which may merit its own discussion.

11. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Media:
    What I don't understand is why RS is selective at all! Its one of few put and take fisheries under those regs. Why not make it a bait lake if it's put and take? If it continues to stay a selective fishery, I would much rather see it as a catch and release lake or a lake with a one fish limit such as numerous basin lakes. It would work better for everybody. Most of the stockers just end up gutted getting freezer burned by those who keep them anyways.

12. rattlesnakeflyguy

Easy. Tickets = Revenue for the state. It's an easy 10-15 ticket per-day lake. I see your point, but it's just another source of $$$. Amber Lake in Spokane is kind of a lake like Rattlesnake early in the season, that is, and then it changes back and forth with different rules/regs. I actually might be for making RSL a put and take 5 per day bait lake, but if that would be the case, they'd need to plant it with a few more fish and some larger one's too. :thumb:

13. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Truth be told, poaching is poaching. I do feel bad for those who truly are not informed, but for everyone of them,.......

Not informed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you buy a license it is YOUR responsibility to read the regs. If you are going to go someplace and dont know the regs for the lake, you shouldnt be there.

14. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    RSFG's exactly right. Despite what we might hope their mission might be, the plain fact is that like city police departments, most of WDFW's enforcement efforts are focused on revenue generation to offset costs.

It doesn't take an economics professor and a cost-benefit analysis to discover that writing 10-15 tickets a day at Rattlesnake (or Langlois, Beaver, Pine or any of the other heavily planted and fished lakes) is a whole lot more lucrative and a whole lot less expensive than sending some officer out for what could be many days and tanks of gas to maybe bust one inbreed poaching steelhead on an S river. Follow the money.

K

15. bobaloo100

bobaloo100 New Member

I agree with the lack of Enforsement by fisheries, I have seen many POACHERS there. I have a question about Rattlesnake. Every time I've been there, I've only caught smaller fish. I did catch a few 16" to 18" Brood trout( Very Ugly),but for the most part they have been in the 10 to 12" range. If this lake is a Selective Gear lake which means (to me),half the people fishing are fly fishing and mostly catch and release. Am I wrong? Why aren't there Larger fish? Maybe they should change the limits you can take. Just a thought.
    By the way, Whats the water level like?

16. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Rattlesnake Lake Plants:
    Mar 23: Rainbow 9,488 3.20 Wallace[that means fish per pound]
    Apr 07: Rainbow 491 0.67 WDFW/Troutlodge Triploid Trophy Trout -1.5 lbs each

These are the fish planted this year: some people refer to the little guys as 'stockers' even though they all are. On a yearly average the 'stockers' are slightly smaller, while the Trips are a little larger and about half of what has been planted in the past. No 'broods' planted, so your larger 'ugly' fish are the Trips! The lake seems to have a good percentage of holdovers, so it's not unheard of to hook into a 19-20" trout....tougher to catch, they didn't get big by being stupid! Lake level is a little low, but not a problem launching a trailer boat, unlike last year! A 5 fish limit should be enough for anyone, but I've never seen any fly guys do that, mostly so the powerbaiters can fill up their 5 gallon buckets!!

17. Paul Stavig

Paul Stavig Member

I can't stand the stupidity of fishing regs enforcement in this state. This guy above gets a $91 ticket for illegally using bait on a selective fishery lake. Perfect! I think the fine should be even higher, plus the potential for loss of gear! Yet, last Friday I took my 8 y.o. daughter to Lake McMurray to continue her introduction to flyfishing and get into some stockers to be C&R'd. We had a great day, but when I returned to my truck I had a $138 ticket (WTF!!!) for "Failure to display a valid Fish and Wildlife Vehicle Use Permit" placed on the windshield. Payable to Skagit County. . .

If the cop had checked my center console, it was there in plain sight! Forgot to put it directly on the dashboard! Guess the cop couldn't be bothered to look around before putting down the donut and begin writing a ticket.

Sorry for the bitch session, but some things just ain't right. . . :beathead:

In my roughly 30 years of fishing in this state I have been checked for a valid fishing license only ONCE (Lone Lake about 5 years ago). But cops seem to be really happy to make a quick runthrough of a parking lot and throw tickets around like confetti. Quick and dirty revenue raisers! :mad:

18. Trent

Trent Ugly member

iagree I carry a set of the regs in my car year round and a second one is in my fishing vest (usually the 1st one from the car that I accidently put there). Thats the same as telling an officer that you didn't see the speed limit sign.

19. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Sportsman's exactly right. Like most heavily-planted lowland lakes west of the Cascades, Rattlesnake has it's share of aerial predation from Ospreys and Bald Eagles. Besides falling for powerbait, the stupid fish are quickly removed from the overall population in the talons of these flying predators. Older, smarter fish have learned that survival means staying low in the water column and come up to feed on the surface only briefly. That's why savvy fishermen like Sportsman who have Rattlesnake dialed in use full sink lines to get their flies down where the big smart fish are.

K

20. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Poaching = $1,000 fine, $100 / possessed fish, $100 for barbed hooks - if used, confiscation of gear. Ya gotta make it hurt or nothings gonna change. Word would travel pretty darn fast in the poaching community, whatever the language.

MB