Rattlesnake 09 - To All Powerbaiters: Don't be caught with your shorts down

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by rattlesnakeflyguy, May 5, 2009.

1. Trout Master Active Member

Yes iagree make it hurt.
  2. TexBC Fly Addict

Vancouver, B.C.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    If it's any consolation (I know it isn't really for me), things aren't much better when it comes to enforcement up here in BC. In fact it's likely worse. Granted, I'm not a greybeard (only 27 years old), but I've been fishing since I was old enough to hold a rod (about 4 years old), and I've only ever been checked one time.

Lack of funding from the government, I suppose. It's frustrating.

*sigh*
    :rolleyes:
    Tex - misery loves company
  3. quadradomus Member

Carkeek Park, Seattle area 10
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Probably because of the huge amount of power baiters along the shore.:beathead:
  4. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

E34
    It's who you ask. Kent and Sportsman really pin-it-down well. During the daytime hours, and for those using streamers (many do) -- the fishing is not all that great. However, and this is a very important point...most of the seasoned fly guys at Rattlesnake show up late in the summer -- 7pm to 10pm to witness the "smart fish" which happen to be the "large holdovers" that love to feast on the surface. When the callibaetis hatches occur in masses, the fish come up and it's hard to keep them off the dry...this is truly what makes this place so special. The holdover in my avatar was caught there and I've been broken off by some fish in that 18-20" range that were *not* cookie cutter stockers. The real fun starts when the sun sets and the wind begins to quiet. When all this comes together, it's a categorical explosion of pure ecstasy. And when you're with the people you most closely treasure, it's moments like these that make for life-long memories. So, it may be easy for one to say - "There's no big fish in there...or why aren't there large fish in there? -- There are large fish in there. Fishing Rattlesnake takes patience and skill for one to pull in fish consistently, and fish with good size. Despite all the poachers -- there are still plenty of fish to go around for all (even the C&R folk). I would just rather keep the lake clear of powerbaiters and baiters all-together...Ignorance is not a valid excuse for breaking any law. It certainly will not this summer. See ya out there.

"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish." Herbert Hoover

RSFG
  5. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    He speakeths the truth!! Early AM fish are pounding the surface, but go deep early: the sun comes up and all their sunglasses are in the Outhouse! Becomes a little more challenging after that, but can be very productive...think deep! The late PM is the reverse and RSFG knows it well. We've flipped S... at each other for a few years, so here is my offer: My very limited knowledge[and fly selection] at O'dark thirty this Saturday and I'll be there the next time you fish into the wee hours[no weekdays, I've still got a couple years to pay off my mortgage]!! AND you help the old cripple guy pack his stuff past the locked gate[ I'll supply my own flys!] See you at 5:30!!
  6. bobaloo100 New Member

seattle,washington
    Hey Guys, Thanks for all the info. I will try to fish Rattlesnake again with a little more knowledge. Understanding the lake you fish is part of fishing too. I have most luck south part of the lake, by the creek? But I'm thinking by the stomps justto right might be good too. As for the "Brood Trout".
    I'm sure they were. There Tail were all Rounded and faces rubbed raw from the cement tanks.
    One more thing, I would not approach those "powerbaiters". Just call it in.
    You don't want to die for a chance to catch more fish.
    Thanks
  7. Paul Stavig Member

Woodinville, WA
    Sportsman - hope to see you out there on Saturday. I'll be there about noon with a few buddies (WFF Tony the Trout and a couple others) and we hope to fish until dark (or sometime after). We're planning on bringing a BBQ, cooking some steaks/burgers and enjoying life. Feel free to come on by and say 'hi', or anybody else for that matter. I'm in a red Waterskeeter pontoon and Tony is in a blue FishCat.
  8. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    You really have to :rofl: at the irony of the "economics cost-benefit analysis" side of writing tickets at R'Snake--especially when you consider how large the parking lot is there. The Snake really is quite the cash cow, eh?

--Dave E.
  9. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Dave, I doubt the tickets they write up there even pay for the gas or a days wages! I've been checked twice: 1980 on the Kalama and 2 years ago up at Rattlesnake, and I've fished it 8-10 times a year for the last 6 years...only saw the guy one other time. But he could make a killing if he wanted to, maybe he does, I usually leave late morning.
  10. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

E34
    Sportsman...on your 5:30 offer...let's make it this...

An evening in July -- heck, you pick it, could even be two or three evenings in June and July...you pick the days. Let it be warmer out so we get an awesome hatch and I don't freeze my sack off. Let's pick a 70F day, 80F day, and 90F day -- that's three days. We'll arrange this. Meet. Fish & see who comes out on top. Dries only. I will carry your tube for you to the night-lot, bring the fly-swatter, and blow out the candle, but I expect you to bring the brews. These are the rules...do you want to play the game? No turning back.:thumb:
  11. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

E34
    Tis most assuredly good advice. A serious confrontation is not worth it, but after you've had so many already...

in the wise words of Mr. Emerson...

The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.
  12. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Lets see.....my 'offer' was a chance to finally hook up and fish a couple times together, usually instead of playing "Go Fish", I prefer Texas hold-em! I'm sure you'll hand my a.. to me, lots of guys do....BUT you have to fish O-Dark Thirty first!
  13. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    Don't make fun of Go Fish!

David
  14. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

E34
    Haha, thanks Go Fish...agreed...Sportsman...sounds good my man. Will do. Details to follow buddy.

RSFG -- Harrison
  15. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Another poaching tidbit: If the gamies manage to bust someone using eggs during the C&R season for wild steelhead on the Skagit the fine is.... wait for it... $80 some dollars.

Less than a traffic ticket. Ridiculous.
  16. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ok, my last post on this thread[I know, it's about time!] and last BS about the 'Snake': why, I don't know, but many lakes really come alive with a rising barometer and this one more than others. The stars have aligned and tomorrow AM will be[hands down] the hottest fishing since it opened. So you can sleep in, close the bars, but be warned: your buddies will call you and tell you that you shoulda been there! RSFG: we used to bet a buck: first, biggest and most: last time it was cold as hell[on Greenlake of all places] and the only fish was the little 8" one I got...almost felt guilty pocketing $6.00 on that little guy!
  17. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

E34
    Sportsman it'll be between RSL or Langlois...which one should we go to? It'll me and my brother.
  18. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ok, I lied..one more...I'm going to Beaver or maybe Pine...the ambience is soooo much better: people running over your line, fishing down on you, the Bitch, Moan and Complain groups and multiple boomboxes....I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonite!
  19. SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

B-HAM, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I hope this is sarcastic bc I wanted to get in on the fun at rattlesnake too! Say it aint so SPORTMAN!!!