Rattlesnake Lake Flies - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by aolson, Mar 17, 2006.

1. aolson

aolson Member

I'm looking for advice to a beginner on recommended patterns I can tie for use at Rattlesnake Lake and techniques to fish them.

Thanks.

Alan

2. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Fish, Olive or Black wooley buggers #8 or #10 on a sinking tip line. Olive and Black Carey Specials will work also. Troll or retrieve slowly. Damsel Fly Nymphs will work very well early in the season. #10 Hare's Ear or #10 nymph or wet fly will work well at Rattlesnake. Some folks troll to fast and have lots of "short" misses (not a short wife either).:D Good Luck.:thumb:

K.

3. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, KEH98926 spilled the big secret. It's out in the open now. Drag an olive or black WB across the bottom and you will hook up with trouty goodness.

4. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    And Go Slow!!!

5. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    Wait till the weather warms up, seems I have seen the same couple puttin on "the show" there a few times while fishing the south end.........

6. aolson

aolson Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Alan

7. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    If you can time it right (and park outside the gate), nothing beats sitting in your pontoon or float tube as the sun settles behind rattlesnake ridge and the surface awakes with risers, jumpers, sippers, finners, tailers, all around. Tie on a para adams, small black caddis, wake a tan caddis, or various midge patterns and have a ball :)

8. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Wow. Everyone is saying to troll slow. The last time I fished Rattlesnake, I used a black mini-bugger (size 12 hook, body dubbing is the rest of the marabou tail wrapped forward, and the rest is obvious) behind a type III full sink line. And I trolled fast in my float tube. I ended the day with over a dozen fish brought to hand.

Still, it's good to try all kinds of trolling speeds and stripping techniques. And I agree with chadk about those afternoon risers. THAT is technical dry fly fishing. You really need a lot of patience and a cool head to pick-off those R'snake shade risers. But it's all worth it when you see that trout head come up and gulp your fly. Yowza!