Rattlesnake Lake report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steelie L, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Steelie L Member

Issaquah
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Here's my tardy Rattlesnake Lake report...

Arrived at the lake on Friday, 7/19, around 8:30pm and parked outside the gate. Water temp was around 68 according to my thermometer. Had moderate success in the waning daylight on a size #22 midge emerger fished on a 16-inch dropper behind a #16 Parachute Adams and a well-greased leader. When darkness fell, the fishing got even better. Nothing fancy -- I just pulled a #10 black Woolly Bugger behind my tube and waited for the violent strikes. All fish were in the 8" to 11" range, save for one feisty rainbow that pushed 13" or 14" and was absolutely full of piss and vinegar. Fished until 11pm and lost count of how many fish I landed (10? 15? 20?), just enjoying the quiet and the darkness. All in all, a good trip, but...

With the warm weather we've had for the past week, I imagine the water temp is now 70 or higher, which means I won't be fishing the lake for a good while -- probably not until cooler fall weather. Any fish hooked in these 70+ water temps is likely in mortal danger.

Why is it that the ONE lake in the Seattle area with special regs has been built up so much -- with such nice facilities and easy access -- that it brings out barbecuers, screaming kids, howling adolescent swimmers, beer-swilling party pals? Mind you, I have nothing against barbecuers, screaming kids, howling adolescent swimmers or beer-swilling party pals -- I just find it ironic that on the one lake that's intended to cater to fly fishing and single-hook lure fishing -- generally considered quiet and peaceful endeavors -- there's zero peace to be found until well after darkness.
  2. Rick16 New Member

North Bend, Washington, USA.
    Like i have said in other posts im a newB and im wondering what the numbers infront of the fly are??
  3. Steelie L Member

Issaquah
    Rick16: "#16 Adams" means it's a size 16 Adams. More specifically, it's an Adams pattern tied onto size 16 hook. Hope this clarifies.
  4. Snapdad New Member

Shiatoru, Washington.
  5. Snapdad New Member

Shiatoru, Washington.
    Actually sorry, that chart doesn't make any sense to me, either.

:)

:DUNNO
  6. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    It wasn't a party hearty little lake back when it was first set up as a fly-fishing lake, it became that way as North Bend grew and it was the place to go swiiming near town. Then the county came along and eased congestion by creating a big parking lot, hiking trails and the like, and it became a zoo.

I remeber Rattlesnake from the mid-70's there were only a few folks on it. Now, its a different story.

Rob
  7. dryfly New Member

Seattle, WA, King.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    humm.. I only moved to Washington in 1981, but if I remember Rattlesnake during the early to mid 80's it still had it's share of 'locals' from N. Bend calling it a summer swiming and party spot.

Of course, this was when the road went along the edge of lake up to the watershed gate (now closed off and sort of a walking trail). Then, it seemed it was WORSE. Why? People would park all along that road, have tailgate parties and loud tunes at full volume etc. Swimmers splashing everywhere. I would floatube out to the farest corner and still no peace. Especially during the 'low water' periods, the increased shoreline would draw large beach parties, swimmers and dogs.

Anyway, now with the lot/park and $$ spent, it can seem crowded, but better than it was I suppose. It is more confined now.

Now on a 'fishing' topic, how's the evening caddis been going there of late with the warm temps?
  8. Steelie L Member

Issaquah
    Tightloops and Dryfly:

Thanks for expounding on the history of Rattlesnake. I only discovered the lake a few years back, when they were doing all that construction, so it's interesting to hear about the 70s and 80s. It's certainly a pleasant place, so I can't begrudge non-anglers for wanting to spend time there -- I just wish we had a few more special-regs lakes in the area.

Re. evening caddis: Last Friday I saw a few black caddis here and there, but nothing to get overly excited about.
  9. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Keep in mind that Rattlesnake was a lake for multi use before it was a selective fishery. While I agree that more lakes should be set up as selective and others as fly fishing only on this side of the state. Rattlesnake close to Seattle is what we have and we should make the best of it until more are switched over. Keep in mind others who may not be fly fishers often ask me and others of us questions while pulling in or out of the lake and maybe some will take up the sport, if we take the time to talk to them. The more people that get into the spirit of fly fishing the better pull we will have with the political crowd to both protect the clean water, the fish need and to maybe get more lakes switched over for our type of fishing. While I agree that fly fishing is best when its a silent sport. Rattlesnake Lake is one of those lakes that works for others to see us in hopefully a good light. Since most of us catch and release most of our fish, others upon seeing this may start to not keep every fish they catch. Also others seeing us out there may take up the sport themselves and we will all have a stronger voice because of it. So maybe Rattlesnake lake being a multi use lake is not such a bad thing. Besides I can still find lakes to go to that have few others on them that may not be a selective fishery but you are mostly on your own. Some take some hiking to get to, others you have to find with some exploring of dirt roads and a good map. The fish may not be big but mother nature is still all around me and I am happy when I am there. :HAPPY
  10. Steelie L Member

Issaquah
    Good points, hikepat.

Thanks.