Rattlesnake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by FoodDog, Apr 22, 2012.

1. First time this this year out on Rattlesnake and it was good as always. Out on the water around 4:30. Had a few bites in the next 2 hours and then like clockwork as soon as the sun came off the lake things got hot. Hit about 7 straight with the largest around 18". These rest of the fish were small all around 12" I'm thinking they might be planters. Anyway it was warm, no wind, and only about 6 fishing on the lake...it was great.

2. Surface or sub- surface? (thx for the report)

3. What were you using? I was up Saturday and I couldn't get them to take anything I was throwing at them.

4. I was using an intermediate line with a olive-green non-beadhead Wooly Bugger. I was slow trolling and using quick 4" strips. They were just under the surface...I used a beadhaed earlier, but I think it was going below where they were feeding.

5. Every fish in that lake was planted. I'm surprised you could think otherwise.

K

6. Cmon man, he's probably talking about the fresh planters as opposed to the larger holdovers.

Thanks for the report

7. Of course they are all planted...as noted I was talking about holdovers.

8. Not to quibble, but your meaning wasn't clear on the first reading (or the second either for that matter.) If it had been I wouldn't have wasted the time to post.

K

9. Ah Kent, I think it is possible that you just did a poor job of inferring, where as others did so easily, please don't blame the author just accept ownership of the problem.

As for the report, thanks for the details. I imagine that one of these days I'll have to fish that lake.

10. hahahahha even a simple fishing report is grounds for debate. Maybe fishermen are solitary creatures for a reason. hahaha. @ kent, i thought it was funny, no worries. @ Dog, thanks for a good post, 18" is a slab for that fishery, nicely done.

11. Thanks for the report, Rattlesnake looks like a great spot to fish... I will have to try it someday :)

Regards,

Will R.

12. I fish rsl often once the rivers close for steelhead around the sound. It would be cool to meet some wff members in person. I am usually in my blue, creek company pontoon boat or a creek company float tube on occasion. My name is Brandon, next time your on the water and see me say hello.

Nice report Food dog, 18" is a nice fish.

13. Is it worth it to go to this lake to wade the shoreline? Or is this a float/toon lake? I was checking it out the other day and saw a beautiful inlet on the northeast corner and movement on the surface within casting
    Distance from the shore near the boat launch

14. I think it's a toon or tube lake. My son and I had some success with his spinning rod and a fly from the shoreline last summer but the best bet is a floating device.

15. I found it was pretty decent to wade the shoreline late fall through early February. It is then at this time the water level rises and a lot of the shoreline is not accessible on the West side of the lake.

16. Never been there, but I always thought of it as having potential to be a good canoe or pram lake.

17. I don't think you would waste gas to drive that far to fish for planted trout. It is a hell of a long way from the coast.

This is one Jim giving another Jim a ration of shit!!!!!!!!!!!

18. I can think of better options, Jim.

It is a nice lake, but I live about thirty miles from it and I have only been there twice, and that was because my fishing partner wanted to go there.

19. As I reported last year, there are large trout now spawning in RSL. So give it some time as some of these fry will grow and "not be planted". Best time to fish RSL is late June, July, and August when the lake is drawn down and the stumps are exposed.

20. RSL does not have a proper inflow that can support spawners. RSL has fish because of the WDFW. I wish it were otherwise.