Ray's Boathouse serving wild steelhead (from another board)

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by TomB, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    Because us "sporties" fighting for the fish don't think ANYBODY should be killing them be it us, or the tribes. The mortality of catch and release on steelhead is negligible.
  2. ToddK Member

On the road again, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Wilken,
    I have one question for you.
    If we "the sporties"put down our rods and turn or backs on these fish like you did - Who will protect them???
    The sellers, the tribes, the commercial fishing companies - Not a chance!!
    They don't care about these fish, just the money they make them.....
    Wake up brotha!!
  3. attack Member

Forks, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0

You have a very valid point. How can we justify fishing for these fish? Well, to put it simply...By always contributing more than we take from these fisheries. That means being responsible stewards of the river.
    -speaking up when we see something wrong on the river.
    -speaking out in cases like these emails.
    -Practicing responsible catch & release. That means handling fish with the utmost care. Realizing that hooking one or two fish or even zero sometimes can be a great day. There is no need for racking up huge numbers by any means possible.

The day may come when we as responsible sport fisherman need to step aside but in the present I think we can do a lot more by being there and fighting for the fish.

-Zack
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0
    Freakin' awesome!
  5. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +204 / 0
    What about the "forgone opportunity" loophole for harvest? The escapement goal is set at a given number 'X'. The tribes get 50% of X. If the sports fishers choose not to harvest their share, they "forgo their opportunity" to kill the fish, and and the commercial harvesters get to take the rest.

How's that for a nice plan?

You can pat yourself on the back all you want while you walk the walk, but increasing escapement is not as simple as just not fishing.

Eliminating the market for legally harvested fish is faster and simpler than changing the swamp of regulations.
  6. d. rose Live to fish, fish to live.

Ashland, Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Imagine what that stack of fish would look like... Ugh...
  7. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Wilkin,
    I understand your points, there is some mortality with c&r but it is minimal. I don't fish the peninsula rivers, were I fish the rivers are closing very soon because of low returns and I don't want to see the sme happen on the peninsula rivers! We have to use the tools at hand to save these fish and if this wakes some people up and people look a little closer at their managment then we all win. Hopefully we all have the fishes best interest at heart, lets see if we can work together at this instead of flaming each other with negative rhetoric!

P.S. State wide wild steelhead release is a no brainer
    e-mail sent
  8. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    I just recieved an email from Peter Birk, Executive Chef at Ray's Boathouse, stating that they are no longer serving steelhead.
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Brady, I got the same. Strangely, Key City Fish sent me a response mirroring the "it is from tribal sources that are sustainably harvested" message. Citing that the Quileute tribal hatchery on the Quileute and the Makah tribal hatchery on the Tsooees is the source, a combo of both hatchery and wild fish that has spawned naturally. Does this mean they are using post spawn fish to send to market? Regardless, this response still loses my business because there are gill netting practices in place and wild fish perishing for the benefit of someone's plate. Totally unnecessary pressure in these teetering times.
  10. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    If Key City won't stop, hopefully the individual establishments will respond as Ray's has, until the demand is gone. Have any of the other places responded?
  11. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +270 / 0
    its still a good step in reducing demand i believe. rays hasn't sent me any reponse yet. no demand for a product eventually eliminates production of that product.
  12. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    I heard back from Ray. Below is their reply, and mine.

By the way, Boston Harbor Seafood is selling wild steelhead again. Our local club will contact them, but I think we should compile a list of all the retail outlets, then go to the newspaper and King 5

Greetings,

We are disappointed by your store’s position on continuing to serve controversial, non sustainable species. It is obvious that your judgment to the contrary is formed by input from the purveyors of wild steelhead, who have a tremendous bias from profiting on a short term basis. Your name will be added to those in a pending campaign to publicize exploitation of non renewable resources such as wild OP steelhead. The intent is to popularize boycotts of businesses which share your indifference. More responsible outlets such as the Pike’s Place Market have joined us in this effort.

Your specious excuse that the fish are “legally caught” is not going to serve your best interest. I remind you that fifty years ago, it was legal to beat ones wife and children in the name of “home correction”. The implication is obvious.

Don Freeman
    President South Sound Fly Fishers
    Past President Capitol City CCA

I am a vocal member of a large coalition of both sportsmen and conservationists who have organized to raise public awareness of this and other local issues.

Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:26 AM
    To: freemans5@comcast.net
    Subject: Castle Key Restaurant

Mr. Freeman

Thank you for your concern regarding the Olympic Peninsula Steelhead. We agree with your position that serving unsustainable, endangered and threatened fish is not a good idea.

The Olympic Peninsula Steelhead that we occasionally serve is always from the sustainably managed Quileute tribal fishery on the Quileute River or the Makah tribal fishery on the Tsooees River. The Steelhead is a combination of both hatchery and wild stock that has spawned naturally. The Quileute and Makah Tribes are closely partnered with the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife to effectively, and aggressively manage these fisheries so that they remain healthy and robust for generations to come. The state and tribes actively work with citizens to catalogue details about habitat and map fish stock distributions. I can assure you that everyone involved, from tribe to state to my restaurant, has a vested interest in the preservation of this fish.

It is true that many Wild Steelhead populations are indeed endangered or threatened and should absolutely be completely avoided, such as those on the California Coast, Oregon Coast, Snake River, and Puget Sound. However, the Olympic Peninsula Steelhead population is healthy, robust and absolutely not threatened. For confirmation of this please visit NOAA’s website at:
    http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/ESA-Salmon-Listings/Salmon-Populations/Steelhead/.

We are aware that there is considerable conflict between sport and commercial fishermen regarding the regulation of steelhead fishing and we understand the frustrations of both sides. We want to stress, though, that our interest in this fish is primarily as a fantastic food. The Olympic Peninsula Steelhead we serve is sustainably and legally caught according to the regulations set forth by the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife and is not endangered or threatened according to NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service. If these official assessments were to change we would indeed adjust our use of this product.

Best Regards,

Johnpaul Davies
    Castle Key Seafood & Steak Restaurant
  13. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    They wrote me at 10:26 this morning to say that they still are???
  14. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    I recieved my email at 1:52 eastern time. Strange. This was a response to an email I sent to rays@rays.com at 10:45 eastern time this morning.
  15. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    Someone get Jesse!
  16. Broderick Smith SeaToTree

SeaToTree, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Not sure if anyone else got this reply i havent dug through the 4 postings, but just received this from Ray's:

Dear Broderick,

Thank you for your feedback. We are no longer serving Steelhead. We will continue to work hard to find truly sustainable sources for our products and appreciate your comments at any time. Thank you for your time and passion on this very important issue.

Best,

Peter Birk, Executive Chef | Ray’s Boathouse, Café & Catering

6049 Seaview Avenue NW | Seattle, WA 98107

206.789.3770 | www.rays.com | rays@rays.com
    - Show quoted text -

I love your establishment, but I feel so strongly about you serving wild steelhead that I am unfortunately going to refrain from eating at your restaurant anymore until you change the menu up.

I hope you realize wild steelhead is NOT sustainable....

I hope you'll consider removing this item from your menu.

Thanks.
  17. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +724 / 0
    Dear Jesse,

Thank you for your feedback. We are no longer serving Steelhead. We will continue to work hard to find truly sustainable sources for our products and appreciate your comments at any time. Thank you for your time and passion on this very important issue.

Best,

Peter Birk, Executive Chef | Ray’s Boathouse, Café & Catering

6049 Seaview Avenue NW | Seattle, WA 98107

206.789.3770 | www.rays.com | rays@rays.com
  18. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Yep, that's the same email I got. I responded with a thank you and asked for their aid in stopping Key City from continuing the harvest and distribution of OP steelhead. He responded immediately that they are having further discussions with their suppliers, state and local agencies, and conservation organizations. (sorry, I can't copy and paste at the moment)
  19. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    So far we've had a 100% success rate in these campaigns. I say we go straight to the distributor in force. A mass bad-press online campaign listing the distributor and everyone they sell to will put a huge amount of pressure on them if done correctly.

I can start a facebook group or something of the sort to get started.
  20. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    oh fuck yes, way to go gentlemen
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.