Ready to pull the triger

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by gbeeman, Apr 15, 2010.

1. gbeeman Active Member

Kennewick WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    I've read a lot of the online reviews and searched the forum and have decided take the plunge into a DSLR. Since I have a couple of older Nikon lenses, that's where I'm headed. My inclination is to buy the D5000. However, I know that a few of you here have sprung for the D90 and I'm curious if it's really worth the extra $. I don't my spending the extra bucks but I wonder if I'll actually notice the difference. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

GBeeman
  2. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +161 / 0
    The older lenses will fit on the d5000, but the d5000 has no drive motor for autofocus - it uses lenses with the quietdrive motors.

Having said that, I shoot a d-5000 with both auto and manual lenses, and love it. The flip-out viewfinder is a boon for off-angle or "creative" shooting.

Pretty sure the d90 has the drive motor in the camera body for lenses...anyone wanna confirm?
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,749 / 0
    I have the D90 and yes, it has the drive motor. I didn't reply to this thread because I have never shot the 5000. I really like my 90.
  4. AxisSally Member

Campbell River, BC
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    yer, you need to have an afs lens if you get a d5000 for auto focus. The D90 has better sensor & specs in general, check out www.fredmiranda.com classifieds for great deals on near new to new cameras (& lenses). Most active B&S forum I have seen.
  5. gbeeman Active Member

Kennewick WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    Thanks for the input!

GBeeman