REAL Basic...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by JimB, Dec 27, 2005.

1. JimB

JimB Member

Some very nice family members gave me my first vice for Christmas, and I have two very experienced friends guiding my first attempts. I do have some knowledge, but am looking for books that can give me the real basics, even down to the stuff you guys could do in your sleep. If you have any suggestions, I'd surely appreciate it.

2. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Hey JimB,

Welcome!

For what it's worth I'd recommend "American Fly Tying Manual" by Dave Hughes, and "Beginner's Guide to Flytying" by Mann & Griffiths.

On an aside; The only thing I do 'in my sleep' is break my working thread at a critical tying step. *g*

Hywel

3. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    My recommendation would be Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughs because it teaches you to tie flies using the currently more popular styles and patterns.

Regards,

4. Milton Conrad

Milton Conrad Member

Here are some that have helped me:

"Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" , Skip Morris
    "The Fly Tying Bible" , Peter Gathercole
    "Universal Fly Tying Guide" , Dick Stewart

Regards

5. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple Skip Morris
    Production Tying AK Best
    Production Tying may be considered a more advance book by some but his way of going over things really helps you with other fly tying books.
    I am looking forward to watching Best in action in Feb. Of course his table is always one of the most crowded.

6. trask

trask New Member

My favorite how to books with good step-by-step instructions are Tying Dry Flies by Randall Kaufman and Production Fly Tying by A.K. Best. There's a new edition of Production Fly Tying with color photos--highly recommended. It breaks down tying the different parts of a fly very clearly, and it's filled with all kinds of tying tips and tricks. Sounds like you've got some good teachers too, which will help a lot. Good luck and have fun!

Best,

Willie

7. JimB

JimB Member

Thanks for all the good ideas. I'll have plenty of reading from now till....whenever I get done reading.

Happy tying, and thanks again.

8. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    JimB,

I second: My favorite how to books with good step-by-step instructions are Tying Dry Flies by Randall Kaufman.

I am new to tying (some very nice family members gave me a Peak Rotory vise for Christmas :D ) and I bought this book. I only have a few others but the clarity of photos and explanations is very good. I assume the companion nymph book is good too.

One recommendation - if you get the Kaufman book, I would get the spiral bound version. I got the cheaper regular bound paperback version and it is falling apart. I am either going to return it or (more likely) chop off the binding and punch with holes and put in 3 ring binder.

Happy tying - Good hobby for when the rivers are blowing chocalate milk at #,000 CFS and it is still pouring.

JimF

9. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Another book I've recently acquired, learned from, and enjoy a lot is "The Practical Fly Tier" by Royce Dam. I heartily recommend it, and also think the earlier suggestion about getting books in wirebound form (when possible) is a very good one.

:thumb: