realistic flys

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by flytyerboy95, Mar 22, 2007.

1. flytyerboy95

flytyerboy95 Future fly fishing guide

Media:
    :confused: i want to get into tying realistic flys dont have the right matrial:mad: and need some advice. oh yeh and i only been tying for three weaks and have tied 35 flys:)

2. flytyerboy95

Media:
    isnt any body going to reply i waiting

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, what's your question? Why not go buy some materials and just give it a try?

4. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

You have been tying for three weeks and a total of 35 flies and you want to get into realistic flies? OK, be prepared to spend at least 6 hours, and more likely at total of 24 to 72 hours, per fly. That's no joke. I had the opportunity to sit and just watch (after giving a promise not to identify him, his methods, and most importantly, I wasn't allowed to ask any questions or otherwise interrupt him) one of the best realistic tiers I have ever seen. He spent a total of 8 hours just making the wings on an adult damsel fly imitation! The finished product looked like it could fly away. The materials can be obtained from many common household items. I would do a search on the internet about realistic flies to see what you will be attempting.

For a more practical matter I would consider getting into a local fly fishing club or getting to know someone at at local fly shop to try to gain some lessons. I've been tying for about 55 years not and I enjoy teaching others some of the tricks that I have learned....I'm sure you can find someone like me in your neighborhood. The old reprobates don't know it all, regardless of what we claim but we know enough to help, I'm sure.

Tying involved practice, repetition and attention to detail. Repeatedly....like tie at least two dozen of one pattern and get to the point where they all look exactly the same. Then you might be ready to venture into bigger and better things. By the way, some of the neatness tricks I have learned while tying at various shows were from youngsters who had no idea they were doing something in a manner none of the old codgers would have ever tried, and with great success! Good luck.

5. flytyerboy95

Media:
    thanks a lot for the advice guys. i guess i shoudnt just go off on a tying rampage

6. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Actually, there's a realistic spider that's very easy to tie.

[​IMG]

This isn't a good write up, but it's what I have kicking about.

It's loosely based on a spider that I think was in Fly Tier, but I can't actually remember ... the recipe I worked from originally had a hollow deer hair body and I found it difficult to size and shape correctly.

The pattern I do is much easier ... just take a cylinder / rod of foam, and melt one end to give a nice spider butt shape to it. It takes a tiny bit of practice but is pretty easy ... use a candle for heat. The shaped end off to the length of the finished spider, i.e., including a length for the spider thorax. Use a razor blade and cut a slice for the hook to slide into.

Start your thread on the hook. Using the slice, mount the spider body on the hook. Wrap the thorax part of the spider body down to the size of the thorax you want ... you'll find that by controlling thread pressure you can shape the thorax any way you want.

You don't need to do any shaping on the spider butt ... because it's foam it'll give a real nice shape.

Then you want to attach spider legs ... use four pieces of mono ... 6 pounds is a good starting weight ... that'll give you eight legs. Cut them longer than you want the finished legs ... it keeps you from having to position the strands left / right as you tie them. You may find it easiest to put the legs on either two or four at a time, and then use the thread to even out exactly where the legs are.

After you do a couple of bodies, you'll find it only takes a few minutes to do the above work.

Next, gently heat a bodkin in the candle and put a sharp upward bend in each leg right at the spider body. Careful here ... it's easy to melt the legs off if you use either too much heat or pressure. Then put two less abrupt downward bends, and cut the legs to length.

Color the spider body with whatever permanent marker floats your boat ... sharpies work well to color the legs.

It's a fast fun tie!

7. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

COOL!!!!! Like I said, always learning!!! Thanks for sharing.

8. flytyerboy95

Media:
    that sounds awsome i will try that you dont see very many spider patterns that offten.if any of you guys have herd of oliver edwards he does a amazing paraleptophlebia nymph and a lot of other great realistsic nypmh patterns

9. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    those spiders are giving me the jeebies!

10. btfriar

btfriar New Member

11. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
  12. Mark,
    That was some seriously realistic shit. Unbelievable! I think I might have a nightmare or two. I know this one guys got 35 tiwd in three weeks I have more like 35 in 6 months, and to get to the level of those pictured, maybe when I'm 80++.
    How's the fishing up there been?
    Frank.

13. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Tying flies as art is certainly cool, but tying flies that catch fish is cooler, IMHO. One person who is acknowledged as a major creative driver of realistic, but fishable flies, is Oliver Edwards. He is the author of an amazing book that can guide you through the tying steps, Fly Tiers Masterclass. He has also written articles for FlyTier magazine and I believe that there may be a DVD or two out too. Here is URL of a stonefly that tied by someone else that is based in Edward's ideas: www.flytyingworld.com/PagesL/ldc-oliveredwardsstone.htm

Personally, if I were just starting out tying, I would spend more attention in covering the basic ten or so patterns: wooly bugger, muddler minnow, pheasant tail nymph, hare's ear nymph, chironomid, copper john, zug bug, Adams, Elkhair caddis, stimulator, hopper, CDC emerger. [Your list may vary.] Fortunately, there are still lots of dumb trout out there that fall for these classics.

Another tying book (and author) that I highly recommend is Mayflies: From Top to Bottom by Shane Stalcup. While the flies aren't as realistic, they capture the essence of each bug.

The adventure begins,

Steve

14. flytyerboy95

Media:
    i agree with the catching fish thing but some fish catching realistic flys are good those web sites kick butt those are some realistic flys showed some to my friend and he said "wow were does that kind of bug live" and he didnt believe that it wasnt reall. wish i had the skills to tye thoughs kind of flys though that caddis pupa on robs realistic looks fairly easy just have to get thoughs matierel. oh and cabezon i tied all the flies on youre list exept for the copper john,adams,stimulator,and cdc emerger thanks for all the info guys!

15. Karjala

Karjala New Member

Hi, Charlie S i hope this one help you????

16. Michael Brady

Michael Brady New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I like the dumb trout being spoke of above.

I do like to tie realistic flies, but the classics keep fooling the trout and are easier to tie.

Invest in foam for spiders, bees, and beetles. Thats all I got.

17. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    Flytyerboy,

I have been tying for about 20 years now and have tied flies for both art and presentation. Cabezon is right with the books that he suggests. I bought both of them and have tied and used every pattern depicted in the books.

I very much appreciate your ambition to tie realistic fly patterns. Its this determination that will make you a much better tier. As one post said, these flies are time consuming to tie. I have spent 30 hrs or so, tying a realistic stone fly, that incorporated many materials but most of all, patience.

Being a newbie to the hobby of fly tying, do what was suggested and make sure that you can perfectly tie 10-15 patterns without much difficulty. Make sure that every wing, body, head, abdomen, tail is perfect. If not, take a razor blade, cut the fly and start over again.

I encourage you to browse through Kaufmann's huge selection of flies and make sure that the patterns you tie, look exactly like the ones being sold as far as quality goes. Experiment with the more realistic patterns on the side just for fun.

18. flytyerboy95

Media:
    thanks obiwan. i was wondering do you ever shop at AATF (all about the fly) that is my home shop and thought i heard some one say "hey obiwan" so i thought it might have been you in there?

19. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    SHIT SOMEONE TOOK MY DAMN ALIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually since the Paparattzi have been harassing me day in and day out from Kaufmann's posting my pic in their shop, he was my body double. That's what happens when you become a fly fishing idol. Now if this person goes so far as to try to steal my girlfriend Eva Longoria from me, someone will be answering to my 9 milla. LOL

All jokes aside, my haunts are Kaufmann's in both Bellevue and Seattle, Creekside Angling and Orvis. Everyone of those shops have great people that work there. I consider those places Mecca and "Heartbreak Hotel" since I always usually pic up a rod or see a kickass reel that I want to buy.

I enjoy hearing about your ambitions to tie. Hey if there is ever some crappy weather day soon that works for the both of us, we can tie whatever patterns you want to tie and I can show you my tying skills. After about three hours of tying and Jack Daniels, we will say eff this and go hit up Ricks...Ah yea, the next best thing to fishing "flytyer" is them girls shaking some booty. High Five!!!:thumb: