Realistic Tailhook leech

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Tracy Lauricella, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I had some fun figuring out how to do this pattern for the fly swap, so I decided to write up a tutorial, as it's kind of an unusual method.

Here's the finished fly. Click the picture to go to the tutorial.
    [IMG]

This is the first time I've written a tutorial, and I'm still a beginning tyer, so please feel free to offer any suggestions.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Tracy, nice work, great tutorial and the hemostats clipped to the hook that you are clipping is great. I tend to hold mine inside a trash can benchside, but sometimes the clipped portion goes flying across the room anyway. Thanks for the pictorial step by step and great tip.
  3. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +275 / 1
    Looks good. Don't think I would have gone with the snelled hook. The eye of the hook looks like it could get in the way of a good hookup.
  4. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    you might want to look into the barred marabou for wrapping the collar with
  5. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    I like it Tracy. Well done on the tutorial. One of the better ones I've seen in awhile.
  6. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    i can't wait to recieve mine in the swap!
  7. Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Lakewood, WA
    I would prefer to go with a straight-eye hook, I just don't have any good ones in that size/form factor. I'm going to take a look and see if I can find some this weekend.

I don't know that it'll interfere- this is an egg hook, like you'd tie a glo-bug egg on, so having the eye hang down a bit shouldn't get in the way of a hookup. That said, it does look a bit funny, and might alter the motion of the fly a bit.
  8. Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Lakewood, WA
    I did a sample one with barred marabou at the collar, and didn't like the way it came out. I can post a picture if you like to see the difference.
  9. Jay C Member

Kenmore, Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to try making some up this weekend.
  10. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    That's a nice fly Tracy, very natural looking, should fool educated fish!
  11. Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Lakewood, WA
    I re-did these with a level eye hook and they look much better. I updated my tutorial with a few tips at the end about using the level eye hook, gluing the thread, and locking in the braided cord.