Really want to go fishing...but dang it's c-c-c-cold! :)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    What kind of gloves do you use when fishing in this weather?????

2. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Ones holding an extra hot coffee at all times. Stood around outside in a meeting about fish counting with WDFW yesterday for about 1.5 hours. I was dressed to wader up when we got done, but changed my mind. Made a beeline for the nearest Starbuck's for an extra hot latte and carried it in both hands. I don't winter steelhead, so 25 degrees is just too f'ing cold!

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I wear a pair of nitrile gloves under a pair of Simms Windstoppers.
    The nitriles help keep wind and water off your skin. Keeping your hands dry goes a long ways to keeping them warm.

I've been looking at getting a pair of Kast gloves for winter fishing. Just wish they didn't cost $80.00 per pair.
    http://kastgear.com/gloves/steelhead-glove.html
    SF

Alexander and Jeff Dodd like this.
  4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Fingerless Glacier Gloves.

5. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    +1
    Got pair of these at Sportco 2 years ago, cheap and still going strong.

6. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

+2 . Keeps the wind off and fleece lined. Not completely waterproof due to the slit on the fingers but you can always use nitrile gloves inside..

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I wear either old neoprene surfing gloves with slits cut in the index and middle fingers, and the thumb, or else some fingerless fleece gloves. Mainly, though, I wait for it to warm back up to where the fish aren't so sluggish. This super cold weather (for the coast) is usually accompanied by offshore winds and high pressure, which combine to produce decent local surfing conditions. If the swell is big enough (or not too large), then I'll be checking out the surf.

I tried wearing some of those nitrile gloves under some fingerless cycling gloves when I went for a ride the other day, but it didn't help much for wind chill. (I dug out some old ski gloves for the cold).
    I think they would be worth trying with my fingerless fleece gloves for fishing, though.

8. Theron

Theron Active Member

It's 12 here

9. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I used to just use cheapo Gloves with the open finger tips and the flip-up cover with Velcro on the back side. I then used to stick a hand warmer in each and flip them over to warm my fingers. But, that was when I primarily nymph fished Colorado rivers which means not much stripping line, basically high sticking through runs or swinging wet flies.

Now that I fish the salt it seems my hands are out more because I'm stripping line. So I thought there's gotta be a better glove system. I'm going to try the nitrile under the glove deal next time I head out. It was frigging cold today since like someone stated earlier the wind was both in my face and in my back from time to time.

Fishing was so slow I went on cruise control, cast, swing strip, cast, swing, strip, change fly and repeat, change fly and repeat, change fly and....on and on. And then, STRIKE, knee jerk reaction, one shake, gone... And that was that. Cold hands and frozen toes... :D. I had to get out there though. I was totally comfortable except my feet and hands.

Years ago I had these http://cozywinters.com/hotronic/ back when I had it in me to fish Colorado in super cold winters (as indicated in my profile pic). Well, "I had it in me" is kind of exaggerating. When you have those hotronics with extended battery pack in your wader booties you can fish anywhere for any length of time or as long as the battery will go.

Should have never sold them!

10. Fishee

Fishee Member

I want to fish too, but it's too damn cold. And I don't want the risk of catching a bad cold. I did that once and got myself really sick, stayed in bed for almost 2 weeks. I'm just going to stay warm, eat tasty breakfast and watch football.

11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I've used Glacier Gloves for years . . . coupled with a hand warmer in your pockets, it's amazing what you can endure. Fingerless fold-back mitts work well, too although they are a bit bulkier. I might have to try a pair of Kasts. Anybody using these?

12. rotato

rotato Active Member

My little rezzie hole
    No gloves will get theflythru the ice
    Stay toasty my friends
    image.jpg

Alexander likes this.
  13. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    I got those new redington foldover mitts for like $40. They are a life saver. Only downside is having to take them off when releasing a fish otherwise they get wet and can freeze in this 10 degree weather.

14. Gloves are for pussies

i wear simms with hand warmer in the mittens part

KevinLS and brittinj like this.
  15. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

16. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

True, but at least I'm a warm pussy and whats wrong with that?

17. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I fish like Al Bundy watches TV! ;) Nah, really though, though to find good inexpensive "gwobbes" like my 3yr old used to say.

Stonefish likes this.
  18. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I try to find a cheap air fare to a warm tropical flat, never had to worry about cold hands....