Recent Hatches...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Jim Speaker, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Jim Speaker Active Member

Ratings: +518 / 0
    Just some random notes on hatches I've seen in the past week or so...

(unnamed) Western Washington Spring Creek : Blue Quills and PMDs

Rocky Ford Creek (Sunday, June 8) : Tricos in the fast water (early morning, of course - damn near every fish sipping them) and of course #24 to #20 black midges in the stillwater

Little Deschutes (May 26) : Epeorus, Green Drakes, PMDs, Caddis, Salmonflies

Yakima (June 2) @ 3 Bridges : Baetis

Yakima (June 4) @ S. Cle Elum : unconfirmed (windy) - swallows chowing bugs over runs too small for me to make out in the wind... baetis again?
  2. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Baetis seem to be everywhere right now, even on the lakes I fish quite a bit.
  3. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Ratings: +791 / 0
    Callibaetis on Hancock Lake on Sunday. Both spinners and duns observed. There was a substantially smaller mayfly as well, but I don't have a good guess as to what it was.
    D
  4. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +112 / 0
    Richard-

My guess would be either Tricorythodes or Caenis. If you saw them during the morning, they could have been Tricos. If you saw them toward dusk, they could have been White-Winged Sulphurs. Those would be the only stillwater mayflies that come to mind which that are "considerably" smaller than Callibaetis, the first brood of which would likely be about 9-10 mm in length, or about hook size #14.
  5. TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

There's going to be a double-bunny and yellow-yummy hatch on the Colorado this weekend.
  6. Jim Speaker Active Member

I'm wracking my brain here... someone... what is the name of the tiny mayfly that occurs on creeks and stillwaters, about a size 24, maybe 26, that has clear wings and a pale transluscent body with the last 2 body segments a darker color like brown? Trout never really key on them, but it's another possibility for the bug that was seen. Gah... what was that called???
  7. creekx spent spinner

Ratings: +16 / 0
    What you're describing sounds like Tricorythodes spinners, as Taxon noted above. However, trout do feed heavily on Tricos on both stillwaters (Hebgen Lake, for example) and most rivers I fish.
  8. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Ratings: +791 / 0
    Thanks, Roger. I'm new to stillwater fly fishing and still learning the bugs. I got a good look at the Callibaetis. Both duns and spinners were out at the same time and were about 10 mm in length. I fished a dun imitation with a softhackle trailer and took a majority of fish on the softhackle. I was there in the evening, so maybe the smaller mayflies were Caenis. It's a new one for me; I'll have to look them up in my copy of Western Mayfly Hatches tonight.

Dick
  9. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

pink and sockeye smolt here still too cold for bugs...
  10. Jim Speaker Active Member

Naw, I know tricos... males black, females cream underbelly, tapered bodies, etc... these are smaller and extremely delicate with a consistently narrow transluscent (nearly clear) body except the last two dark segments. It'll pop in my head at some unlikely time - there's not a common name for them since fishermen and fish don't care for them. I'll post with a pic some time when I remember and can therefore google up a photo. :)
  11. Taxon Moderator

Jim-

If this is what you are trying to remember, the genus is Caenis.

[IMG]
  12. Bugthrower Willits

Jim, are you thinking Pseudocloeon?
  13. Jim Speaker Active Member

Pseudocloeon! Ding ding ding! We have a winner - sorry, all out of prizes...

Yes, pseudo is the one. Thanks, I feel much better now.
    :beer2:
  14. creekx spent spinner

Ratings: +16 / 0
    Ahhh, 'Psuedo' spinners! Like this little feller...

[IMG]

BTW, most have been reclassified as baetis, but I'm not sure if the trout care...
  15. Jim Speaker Active Member

Nice photo. That's the one :thumb: