Recommend 2 gotta have soft hackles

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by wioiei, Mar 25, 2006.

1. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    This is like the best thread ever on soft hackles.

I tied up a bunch of Partridge & Peacocks this weekend myself. Such a nice easy fly. One tweak that I do is to use a glass bead for the thorax -- it simultaneously pushes the hackle up and forward and gives it some weight.

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    iagree

I just finished tying up 3 each of:

Soft-tailed olive and peacock Carey Special
    Soft-tailed natural Carey Special
    Olive Self-bodied Carey
    Natural self-bodied Carey

The self-bodied ones look really cool--thanks Les and Preston for the idea! I plan on tying up a couple more Carey 3x4-sets. This first one will probably go to a good friend of mine who I introduced to stillwater f'fishing. I need someone to fish these for me.

I'm kind of thinking of offering these Carey 3x4-sets for sale. Since it's going to be a while before I can work again, it wouldn't hurt to make a little under-the-table pocket money. Nothing will be for sale until I have several 3x4 sets on hand.

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Pics - we need pics!! :)

4. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    I like the self-bodied careys. Use red thread, lacquer it up good and that is a sweet looking fly when you are done. Hey, I wonder if that fly tied with Golden pheasant tippets would do a good shrimp imitation in Belize? Ooh, or tie it with some dyed Lady Amherst... So many options, so little time...

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Unfortunately, I gave away my first 3x4 set before I could take pics. :( Fortunately, I just finished tying another set. :D

Pics soon. :thumb:

6. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Here you go: The 3x4 Carey Pack. Sorry the resolution isn't that great.

7. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Nice looking flies, Dave. It looks like the self-bodied ones have some of the downy barbs at the base of the rump feather sticking out in the thorax just behind the hackle. Nice.

One of the guys at the Avid Angler turned me on to a variation of the Hale-Bopp leach that he likes on Pass Lake. It looks like a hybrid with a Carey Special. The standard Hale-Bopp has a sparse marabou tail and a mohair leach body. The variant has a pheasant rump feather hackle at the front similar to a Carey Special.

Dick

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    I know I already answered this once, but I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the Doc Spratley. Tied with either black or green wool it has brought a goodly number of fish to hand. I like it fished on a tight line, with most hits as the fly rises to the surface. It also fishes well hung under a caddis dry fly when a hatch is on.

9. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Exactly! That build-up should keep the hackle pushed out a little, so that the fly breathes more when stripped. At least I'm hoping so.

No kidding! That description of that Hale-Bopp/Carey hybrid sounds a lot like something I tied a few months ago. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to fish it yet. I'll have to scrounge it up and post a pic of it. The thing I tied has the same short webby hackle for tail as my Carey Special variant, but it uses picked dubbing for the body. It also uses pheasant rump for the hackle. Another variation uses peacock sword for the tail. These are pretty big flies--6x shank, #10 or #8 hooks. I lumped these variants under the label of "Carey Monsters." I was gunning for something at the max size for dragonfly nymphs. Here are some pics.

--Dave