Recommendation for Switch blank

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Ben Waldschmidt, Apr 15, 2009.

1. I'm looking to build my second rod. First was a Forecast 7/8 spey. Turned out fairly well. Now I'm looking to build a switch rod for the beach and the pink run. I'm thinking around a 6 or 7 wt. Probably will put a scandi head on it, unless somebody has had better performance with another set-up. Not looking to break the bank, but wanted to get some input. Also, I am looking for a moderate to mod-fast action. Thanks!

2. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Depending on your budget, I'd go with either one of the Rainshadow switches or one of the Beulahs.
    -Ethan

3. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Z axis

4. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Beulahs are nice rods. I had the 6 weight switch and liked it alot.
    Good choice.

5. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

I have an older Meiser 8 wt switch rod that Bob made for me that I love. Later I got a Beulah 6wt switch for the salt that is also quite nice. Both are available as affordable blanks.

A few weeks ago I made a switch rod from a rainshadow 8wt blank. I got a chance to cast it last week for the first time and I was REALLY pleased with it. So much so that I drove over to Sequim earlier this week to pick up another 8wt switch blank for my daughter.

FWIW I was casting with a 12wt Windcutter cut back to 400 grains. I think an airflo 420 compact skagit would be a great match.

If I were to do a salt rod today I might try a Rainshadow 6 or 7 switch. Batson has a nice reel seat and cork combo for Switch rods as well.

6. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Don't forget that you can get some sizes of the TFO Deer Creek (Mike Kinney) switch rod blanks from Bob Meiser. I think All About the Fly, a site sponsor, can get the blanks for you as well.

I own Beulah and Rainshadow switches. They are both good values, but I think the Deer Creeks are as good as any presently available at any pricepoint.

7. Thanks for all of your input! I'll definitely keep you posted on what I decide to go with...

8. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

they sell deer creek blanks?

9. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Yep. In at least one size from Bob directly. If you call AATF they may be able to get them (through Bob) as well.