Recommendation on a 1 man tent.

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Brady Burmeister, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +114 / 0
    What have you used that you like? Unfortunately I'll be on a pretty tight budget for this, under $150, preferably under $100.
  2. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +249 / 5
  3. johninlv New Member

Las Vegas, Marysville
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Brady what kind of camping are you using the tent for? for car camping I love an old REI 4 man dome tent. Fast to set up in the dark, stands up to sever inches of snow and rain. almost tall enough to stand up in.
    For backpacking I like Henry Shires Tarp tents. I use the two man squall. http://www.tarptent.com/index.html
    Zero in on a quality tent and look for a used one. A good tent will last for years and still be light.
    This site http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html?id=TYJ945h3:98.247.194.61 Has tests on cutting edge equpt for the last 10 years a forum and class ads.
    My son hiked the north end of the PCT in 05 with a poncho tent. I dont think he would do it now.

Good Luck
  4. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    This will be for car camping for a once yearly trip. I'll invest more in a family 6 person some day. But for this, if weather really got bad I could jump in the car. So a $200 tent just isn't an option right now for the amount of solo camping I do. I'm actually leaning towards this 2man - http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/SMJTT2.html#ReviewInfoTab
  5. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +249 / 5
  6. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    rei half dome 2 is my tent. its a 2 person but i prefer that, even if going solo
  7. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
  8. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    I'm 6'1" and about 200, so since I'm not backpacking I'm thinking a 2 man will be smarter.
  9. johninlv New Member

Las Vegas, Marysville
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Brady: years ago the sporting goods stores were selling a 3-man dome tent for about $39. They had a hex shaped footprint and 3 fiberglass poles and a rain fly. The weak point was the zippers. My family ended up with two of these one for the kids and dog and one for mom and me. I like the three poll designs they give better support in wind. You should be able to pick up one of these on Craig’s list or a garage sale for $10 or $15. I finally up graded to the REI 4 man dome tent that has been bullet proof for 2 people. Tent builders must be very small people. REI has great product support and often have parts available. I would avoid any tent with aluminum poles.

John
  10. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
  11. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +44 / 1
    If you haven't already, you might want to check SierraOutfitters.com They have pretty good deals on well known tents. Plus an additional 25% discount at checkout. I just bought one this week.