Recommendation seeking Newb

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ilikeamericanas, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ilikeamericanas New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi everyone. I've been trolling this site for awhile now and figured i might as well sign up and say hello.

Been building interest in fly fishing and i actually get to do it next weekend. We are planning on heading down to Cowlitz for the weekend camping/fishing trip but that might not work as its suppose to get pretty cold out there, specially at nights.

So i'm hoping to get some guidance on any places to fly fish/camp , preferably in eastern WA (not yakima river as i like eating fish :p ) just in case we chose not to go to La Wis Wis camp ground on cowlitz.

many thanks and i'm looking forward to spending more time here
  2. Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Upper Entiat River. Help out the native fish and eat some brookies.
    ilikeamericanas and Gary Knowels like this.
  3. ilikeamericanas New Member

Craig, that would work great, unfortunately that's about 4:30 hours away from Bothell :(
  4. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,602 / 0
    Cold nights on the cowlitz in the second half of July are a dealbreaker? That's just messed up right there. Craig gave a good idea, if you like to eat fish in high summer where warm nights occur, that means your small river temps are going to be positively hot. Which means trout will suffer if you catch them. Which is why a non-native trout/fish might be best to target.

Maybe go to the Columbia flats and target carp and smallmouth...
    ilikeamericanas likes this.
  5. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +414 / 0
    I bet you could get to fishy water in 3:30, only an hour longer than to La Wis Wis. It's gorgeous up there too!
  6. ilikeamericanas New Member

Gary, you ever been down to LA wis? I've been reading good reviews about it
  7. Mountain Man Active Member

North Bend, WA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    It's a fairly nice campground. I used to go there pretty regularly, but it's been a while now. I'll always remember it as the first place I got drunk. And, while traipsing through the woods that night completely hammered on a mix of vodka and Boone's Farm, lost the keys to my friend's truck. And had a hangover that lasted two days. Nothing like trying to retrace steps that you don't remember at all, having to ask the Camp Host if he has a hanger you can use to break into your own vehicle, all while pausing every 15 minutes or so to do the Technicolor Yawn.
    flyfool and ilikeamericanas like this.
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +414 / 0
    I was there a couple of times when I was young, long before I started fly fishing. I also camped/hiked in the Entiat area as my dad lives in Chelan. I can't be much more help than that though. Good luck wherever you end up. Brookies are a tasty fish, at least when I've pulled them out of alpine lakes.
  9. ilikeamericanas New Member

any feedback as far as fishing goes in that area?

Thanks Gary!
  10. Mountain Man Active Member

North Bend, WA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    There are some places nearby that get stocked. Skate Creek and Jody's Bridge are both within 20 minutes or so as I remember. You can head east about 20 minutes on Hwy 12 (just over White Pass) and fish Clear Lake. Lots of stockers in there. If you walk to the upstream edge of the campground, you'll find a really deep pool on the river (I think it's called Blue Hole?) You'll definitely see some big fish in there, but good luck catching them.
  11. ilikeamericanas New Member

excellent review thank you very much will make sure to check Em out. Will post pics if successful :)