recommendations for portable fish finder for kayak?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Graham Young, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I installed the foam transducer pucks in my Don Hill mini-drifter and in my Native 12. Tested the Native 12 and it works great with just water, except the water temp is now just the temp in the bottom of the puck. A balmy 59 F. I don't need temp readings anyway, as anywhere in the 45 F to 70 F range, I can tell within a couple of degrees what the temp is just by sticking my hand in the water. After 35 years of surfing, I sort of "became the thermometer."

2. reamse

reamse New Member

I got a portable for my raft, it was only about 60 bucks, it works for knowing the depth and if the fish are suspended and what the substrate is (kind of) after that you get what you pay for. The batteries are 4 triple AA's I think and they've lasted me all the way since ice season.

It says it has shoot through technology but the ice in Wisconsin last season was to cloudy or jaged didn't work worth a lick.

For the price i'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Always shop around to lesser known internet sites for anything you buy, make sure the site is legit and secure though. Every larger store will increase the price at least 30%.

Hope this helps, some links below.

Ellsworth

http://www.amazon.com/HawkEye-Hawkeye-Portable-Fish-Finder/dp/B000E0E2WI

http://www.bestfishfinder.com/fish-finder-norcross-portable-hawkeye.html

3. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

For what it's worth, I've attached a pic of my set-up on my OutBack. I chose the Fishing Buddy so I can move it to my pontoon boat w/no problems... Hope this helps.