Recycling My Mistakes

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by John Dougher, Feb 27, 2011.

1. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Over the years I have tied a lot of ugly flies and, for some reason, have kept them. It’s time to toss or…
    Does anyone have a quick way of removing material off hooks? Thinking maybe an acid bath, but I’m no chemist.
    Thoughts?
    John

2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Single edge razor blades. Pretty cheap, sharp.

Steve

3. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Sharp knife or razor blade and get to pickin'!
    Chores like that you can do while watching TV.

4. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Been using a box cutter but isn't there anything else?
    I'm talking about a couple hundred between my wife and I.

5. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Fur and feathers comes off the same way they went on. If you're in a big hurry just throw the damn things away!

6. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

That's what I'm planning to do if the only alternative is take each one apart.

7. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    If you're going to chuck them anyway, maybe try burning everything off. If you trash the hook no big loss, but it just might work ok.

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Really depends on the material for me. It has to be something special, or that I know I can reuse. You have long streamer or steelhead bodies with crystal/cactus chenille? That's worth it, because it's not biodegradeable, and easy to reuse. Dry fly hackle? less so, although it can work pretty well in EHCs. Fancy pheasants? Yeah, worth it.

So first thought is "can I use it". The next thought is "can I cut it down" You got dries with too long hackles, weird tails, whatever, can you cut it in some way to fish well but differently. Cut the bottom half hackles, to make it ride on its belly, turn it into an emerger, etc.

Lastly if yo do go somewhere to fish the salt with chum, it can make sense to cut streamers that aren't quite up to snuff, and with either a marker or sparkling t-shirt paint, color the cut line, and fish it under the chum. It's a great tuna trick.

9. Chef

Chef New Member

Donate them. Fish are not picky and there are always people in need of flies.

10. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Media:
    Save them until you need to use the hook they're on and cut the material off then. Clean as you go rather than the huge task of all at once. They're not going anywhere. Cabezon's razor method is the easiest.
    E

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I'm in about the same situation, but now I think I know what to do with them. Thanks for the post.

Ira..

12. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    After years of tying I must have a few hundred (at least) flies that haven't made the cut for one reason or another, I have them in boxes, bags, jars, and just lying around in different places, I cut them up (the razor method) as I need to (to retrieve the hook or material) and have lately decided to not tie a fly unless I can do it using a recycled hook, I've started doing this to cut down on the numbers of hooks I buy, not that hooks are all that expensive its just I want to thin out the huge amount of shit I have lying around that will never be used otherwise, but I must say the donation idea has merit I have alot of flys I tied early on that I tied on some mustad hooks that were very fine wire that I got for next to nothing, I stopped tying on them even though the hooks were extremely sharp and were great for excellent floating flies its just with my heavy handed playing of the fish I would usually end up with flies that were bent all out of shape and worthless so I quit using them, if a person were so inclined who, what, or where would be a good (and please don't just say me) place to donate to.
    tony

13. Stan Blodgett

Stan Blodgett New Member

Project healing waters might be interested in them

14. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

burn it off, i think sticking the hook point in a 2x4 and when you have a nice row of flies make a few passes with a torch might save some time. as long as your not heating the hook to the point where it gets red hot i dont think it effects the strength of it much

15. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    Keep an old pair of seizor's around, cut most of the fluff and bulk off of the hook. Then just a couple of quick passes with a fighter will clean the rest off nicely without a large inferno. I have been doing this for years with no problems to the hooks.

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Have some fun with it. Soak the lot of them for a bit in some form of fuel to get the materials good and primed for the blazing. Decant off the excess liquid, let them sit for a bit. Put them into a nice safe container, such as the heavy duty oil pan you use for starting your charcoal briquets for your dutch oven cooking. Light them off, the materials should burn off fast, then smother out the flame, allow to cool and the residual stuff should come off easily. If this does not work, it will certainly be more fun! Watch your bangs, eyebrows and eyelashes.

17. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I do it the same as Phil. If I can't repair the fly, I cut as much of the material off as I can with a razor blade or my tying scissors, then burn the thread and residual material off.

18. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Thanks
    "Burn baby, burn"

19. Wally Bear

Wally Bear New Member

There is this new show on TV called "Hoarders"

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Have the video camera nearby and running!