Recycling My Mistakes

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by John Dougher, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

South King County
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I like the flame idea. If you use propane the temp maxes near 2000 Degrees C, but with the Mumbles fuel additive I don't think the temp will rise as much as the flame! If you're concerned about changing the steel hardness, just consider this, keeping the temp under 500 degrees F will only make the steel stronger by tempering it and getting up higher (over 1400 degrees F) will change the hardness depending on how quickly you cool it. So if you want a hook you can sharpen to cut like glass cook it till it glows and cool with cold water. It will make it brittle though so a big fish may snap your hook, as it will no longer flex.

Have you tried soaking in Lye? Don't know how long it will take, I'm sure it will eat the thread, feathers, and hairs off. It won't hurt the metal, but wear gloves as it will eat you too. If you have a septic tank disregard this approach.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Laughing my ass off at all of us telling John how to destroy his discard flies...with lots of crazy shit and disclaimers...maybe you should just throw them all in a hard sided container and place them safely in the garbage and walk away.

Disclaimer: If you use the accelerant method, you did not get that super cool, er hot idea from me, but I'm expecting some video coverage. Accidental loss of side burns, eye brows and eye lashes are the responsibility of the burner, not the typist.
  3. Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

South King County
    I wonder how flammable Lye is.......hmmmmm Sodium Hydroxide.......
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
  5. Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

South King County
    Thanks ED!

No fire on the lye....but sounds like heating it may release some toxic fumes that may lead to some nasty respiratory issues and being exothermic it will burn you when it reacts with water.....

So wear a slicker and strap on an SCBA and you're good to go!
  6. Wally Bear New Member

Winlock, WA
    oh you mean the same stuff they just dumped into The Narrows during the train wreck.
  7. Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

South King County
    Holy Crap! I didn't hear about this till now. It was in liquid form though so the impact is better than if it was a solid (though still not a good thing). I know it's very soluble in water so hopefully it breaks apart and just makes the water a tad bit saltier with a little more oxygen, but I'm sure it killed what was living in the sand. if it didn't cook it. That really is too bad.

Thanks for the heads up Wally