Redington Classic Trout Rod - Sweet...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Apr 20, 2010.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    I was at SportCo today checking out their "tent sale". I had no intentions of purchasing a fly rod. My friend purchased a 2 wt. a couple of days ago and was excited about his rod, and so I was wondering how their 4 wt would feel. We made the fly shop manager go dig in the closet to find a 4 wt. and he did. We asked if we could cast it, and he set it up. Back in the parking lot, it didn't take long to decide to buy the rod. What a "sweet" little rod! It was the Redington CT -9 ft. 4 wt. (9044). When I got home, I thought maybe I was dreaming about how this $99 rod cast in the parking lot, and so I had to try it again on the lawn. All I can say is it seems a great little rod. I was casting with ease and seemed quite delicate in presentation. It is a slower rod action and I would call it a "medium action rod". I was amazed at the price and quality of rod. Need a good 4 wt? Nice quality built also. Go get one! I can't wait to try it on a stream or local lake. It casts similar to the Sage LL Series I believe.
    $99 bucks! :thumb:
  2. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I too have this rod in a 9044. I love the action on this rod and the fit and finish is pretty darn good too. I pulled in a nice 16-18" bow with it last friday and it was a fun fight on such a light rod. I've also heard it compared to the sage LL. Great deal for $99.
  3. Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

South King County
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks Larry. I'll have to go see Bo and pick one up, if there's any left that is. I've been wanting a 4 wt, always been a fan of Redington. $99 for the CT is a great price for a lifetime warranty rod. I think that rod was around $160 this past summer. Sounds like a winner.
  4. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +485 / 0
    It is a hidden gem of a rod, seems some are learning about it. It is very much like the sage LL. The 8'6" 3 weight is so so nice. I can't justify buying another trout rod right now, but if I could this would be the one. 99.00 is the new price on the 4 piece...this rod also has a 3 and 5 weight in a six piece.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    I picked up a 2wt a while ago. I've been telling a few folks about it when they are looking for light trout rods. It has a feel that I'm not talented enough to describe, but I like it. Maybe another 4wt for me...well, not just yet.
  6. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    The Outdoor Emporium had them for $99 a couple weeks ago too. Yeah that 2wt looks pretty sweet. Definitely a future purchase particularly if I can still get it for $99.
  7. fly punk lunatic trout bum

oly. wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    One of the nicest rods i've cast in that price range, ever. Well worth more than 99 bucks.
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    In case you did not know they also make this rod in 6 piece travel rods, 3wt and 5wt sizes. These are likley not available for the sale of $99, but if you want more packability in a rod with that sweet moderate action...
  9. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    I've been touting Redington rods for some time now. Let's face it. They are Sage rods built offshore but the quality and warranty are first class. I have a boatload of CPS rods that are built, I believe, on the Sage SP blamk or one very similar. The price is right and they cast beautifully. I would say that Sage made a great acquisition into the lower end rod market and it has worked great. They can still market their brand name products and fill the gap with the lesser priced Redington line. Brilliant marketing strategy!
  10. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    I think Sage should "drop" their low end rods, and just substitute the Redington name on them and just stick with their higher end rods in the Sage name.
  11. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    I don't own a CT, but several other Redington rods and I LOVE them all. I've been looking for a 3wt...this might be my ticket!
  12. Ab fisher New Member

Utah
    i have picked up 3 rods in the past couple of months 2 redington RS4 and a Redington CT and love them all but the CT has to be my favorite. i am going to pick up another 5wt CT today
  13. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Steve,
    I agree, the CPS models are excellent rods. I've often heard them referred to as a poor man's Sage XP. Redington has really stepped up their game with their product offering, not only in rods but waders, reels etc.
    As far as Sage owning Redington, they are both actually owned by Far Bank Enterprises. Far Bank is the holding company for both Sage and Redington.
    They seem to me to pretty much run independant of each other.
  14. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,565 / 0
    I'm glad to read these reviews and recommendations. I have one Redington rod, but it is a Wayfarer model, that I bought 4 years ago on closeout, also $99 I think. There's a new post asking what fly rod to buy every month or so from someone who wants a quality rod but doesn't want to spend a lot of money. And then, except for a few suggestions of TFO, Echo, and Redington, come the recommendations to take the plunge and buy a high end rod - way to make a useless recommendation. Useless when the poster states he doesn't want to spend a lot of money, and senseless because there are so many very good quality entry level graphite fly rods these days. This thread is a testament to one of them.

And since the lightest rods I own are 5 wts, maybe I ought to swing by and see if I "need" a 3 wt.

Sg
  15. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +485 / 0
    You'll be a hundred bucks lighter leaving. I tried out the 386-4 and it is very smooth. Reminds me of my 389 LL, but it reminds me of the TXL too. It really is a HOT deal right now. I need to go check out the 904-4....why? it's a disease :beathead:

http://www.newenglandonthefly.com/site/redingtonclassictroutseriesreview.htm
  16. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I'd have to go for their rs4 rods, just a tad faster than the ct and tad slower than the cpx. Saw them at wholesale sports for 120.00 for a 4-6 wt.
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Peter, the RS4's are no doubt a fine rod. I believe that for small water and smaller fish the CT would be much more fun to fish. I think that further demonstrates the flexibilty of the Redington series of rods.
  18. Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

South King County
    I have an 7'6" RS4 3 wt I use on smaller water. It's a great rod , but I don't know if I'd go any heavier[with an RS4] for smalls [south fork snoqualmie, skookumchuck]. It's a little fast, but definitely better than the RS2/3 as they were too solid. Looking forward to fishing a CT. Going to go to Sportco tomorrow. Hopefully they have a 4 wt.
  19. Ab fisher New Member

Utah
    i agree mumbles i mainly fish my 4wt rods and i have both the CT and RS4 in a 4wt and an RS4 5wt rod. I have caught around 15 fish on each of the 4wts this past two weeks and find the smaller waters much funner to fish with the CT. Dont get me wrong, they are both fun to get a 20" brown or bow on but that CT makes it much more exciting
  20. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    I don't disagree with anything written here. Redington Rods have gotten a good reputation since being taken over by "Far Bank". The fact remains that the quality is better in the past few years, the warranty is great, they are lower end rods, and maybe Sage would be better off sticking with the higher end, maybe not. The rule is, "diversify" and always has been. Far Bank also owns Rio if I'm not mistaken, as well. And, I have purchased Redington clothing and rain jacket. If you don't want to go high end or can't afford it, Redington is a very viable option.