Redington CPS

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chief, May 20, 2013.

1. chief

chief Active Member

I know these rods were well liked by many before they were discontinued. Over the weekend I was looking at rods at River City Fly shop in Portland and saw that they have 2 brand new 4wts sitting in their rod racks. I was surprised to see someone still had them in inventory. Just thought I'd pass the info along in case someone is in the market.

2. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I have the 6 wt and it is badass. It's not the lightest rod in the world but it's got serious backbone and does what I want from it (streamers/nymph rigs). I got mine from a Wholesale Sports clear out sale. Apparently they had several just laying around in the back from old inventory that they never left out. I got mine for $80. What are they asking for those 4 wts?

3. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

maybe not "in the world", but they are very light sticks. This is why lots of people who loved the CPS hated the CPX....much heavier and club-like and top-heavy in comparison. I have 5 CPS rods and they are incredibly lightweight. I have the old data sheet on them and the 6 wt 9' is listed at 3.6 ounces....that's pretty light! The 12 wt is only listed at 4.0 ounces and i can verify it is super light (although I've never weighted one).

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I'm with Mingo on this one. The CPS was often referred to as a poor man's XP. Excellent sticks for the money.
    Redington really went backwards with their single handed CPX sticks. I'll be extremely disappointed if I ever break any of the three CPS rods I own.
    SF

5. chief

chief Active Member

I didn't ask the price. I'm sure you can call them for the price if interested.