redington cpx 8113?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sean Beauchamp, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Anyone out there using one? Need to pick up a switch for swinging flies wondering if anyone has any experience with one? What lines used, tips thrown, pros/cons etc. Thanks

2. Chedster

Chedster Member

I had one for a bit before I traded it for the 7wt version. Sweet rod with a 480-510 skagit switch on it. Handled 10-12 feet of t-14 easy. They are really nice rods for the price, I fish the hell out of my 7wt and it's held up well.

3. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

I have the 7113-4 and I like it a lot. I find it can be a canon which is what I like for my applications (beaches). I can't say how they are on the rivers, but if you want a nice rod that can shoot a line for not too high a price- you'll like this one.

4. Lett

Lett New Member

I too have a 7 wt CPX 113. I've use it for steelhead on the Eastside and on creeks and smaller rivers on the OP, and I am VERY pleased with it. The workmanship, price and performance worked for me. I currently use a 385 gr Scandi with a 31 ft head. I haven't a need to dial-in the sink tip beyond a 9 ft type III (yet), but it clearly won't throw as big a tip or heavy a fly as my Sage VPS 9 wt 14' (my only other point of reference). That said, I'd venture to guess you'd go farther and deeper with with a heavier set up on the 8 wt if you needed it.

Lett

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

If it does not have to be a Redington CPX, check out the TFO Deer Creek 8wt switch for sale by Steve Saville in the classifieds. I know first hand what that rod can throw, anything you need up to a chunk of chain for sink tip and flies as big as I've seen you fish.

6. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

The Deer Creek was originally my first choice (I'm a TFO fan for life...) to be honest, but I was offered a CPX at a great price that I just couldn't refuse.
    They both are great rods so yes, if it doesn't have to be the CPX, I would defs take a TFO DC out for a test ride if your shop can set that up...

7. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

I want something with a little more guts than the DC I've heard people compare the cpx spey rods to sage tcx which piques my curiosity about the switch. Short skagits and T tips is what I'm looking to fish. Thanks guys.

8. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

I have CPX 7129 for a while... great rod, very different than DC Spey series (regressive bend, sling shot feel). The CPX cast very similar to TCX. Just a bit stiffer in the but section than TCX, thus, you might feel a bit "dead spot" when you really drive the rod hard. TCX is apparently lighter feel and more sensitive... more smooth bend than CPX.

I have cast the CPX switch rod, but be honest with you, I was not impressed by the CPX switch series. (same disappointment come to the DC switch series also). If I only can fish one graphite rod, that would be DC 13' 6/7. Amazingly good among all leagues.(I know you are looking for switch, but this rod feel as light as a switch rod...) Of course this is just my opinion.

9. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

i cant speak to that rod, but my cpx 6126 is a fun rod and it looks good to boot. being in WA, u cant really beat the customer service. when i broke mine I had a new rod in hand the next day no questions asked.

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I have that exact rod, lightly used.....want it?

11. Armando

Armando New Member

Does anybody have experience with both the Redington CPX 6106 Switch and the Echo 61010 ? If so how do they compare?