Redington CPX vs Echo Ion 8 wt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mdjm66, Dec 3, 2012.

1. mdjm66 Member

Cloverdale, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Need to pick up a couple of single hand rods for some tropical saltwater fishing and dont want to break the bank, but want to get a couple of half decent rods, have it narrowed down to the Redington CPX and the Echo Ion.
    I have a 6 wt CPX and havent had any issues with it.

Thanks

Dean
  2. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +756 / 0
    Where are you fishing? Both choices seem solid, really can't go wrong... If your fishing for bonefish, I think either choice would be fine. If your blind casting (think peacock bass) and casting all day long, I'd choose the Redington, I believe it may be the easier rod to cover water with...

$.02

Dan
  3. mdjm66 Member

Cloverdale, BC
    Fishing in the Caribeean for Bonefish this trip, my first foray into tropical fly fishing.
    thanks for the reply.

Dean
  4. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +271 / 0
    I don't have experience with either one. However, I think the CPX is lighter and if you're happy with the way your 6wt CPX casts you will probably like the 8wt too. Plus there are some killer blow-out sales on CPX rods.
  5. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +210 / 6
    Both are good. I think the Echo 'Edge' would be a better choice than the ION personally. If you are familiar with Sage products, the CPX is similar to the Z-axis series (fast with finesse) while the Echo Edge is reminiscent of the XI2 and XI3 series (fast with power).
    I wish I could tell you that they are as good as the Sage rods, but both are good rods for the $$$
  6. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +756 / 0
    Good luck with the bones! My favorite fish, I've chased them throughout the Bahamas, Mexico, Hawaii and Belize. Where are you headed?

A few things that may aid you; if fishing with a guide and from a boat, cast what you believe to be 50' and ask your guide how far that was, it can aid in adjusting distances (I've fished with guides that think 50' is 70', and I've fished with a guide tht thought any distance between 25 and 70' was exactly 40...)

Same with hands of the clock. Point to 10 and ask him what that is, same for 2. Again, I once fished with a Mexican guide who was exactly backwards, 10 was 2, 9 was 3, etc... Once we got it straightened out, it was ok, though I never got over the instinctive correct initial glance.

Good luck, be sure to report back. You're gonna be shocked just how far a small bone can run, let alone if you get into a big boy. Once they get over 6-7 lbs they are totally different animals, long sustained runs, then they'll bulldog a bit up close.

Dan
  7. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Don't pass up a Redington RS4.

I have the 8 wt. 9' 6"stick & like the casting action on it better that my CPX 696-4S. Cheaper too.

c/22
  8. mdjm66 Member

Cloverdale, BC
    Thanks for all the tips, Dan, I will be fishing in the Turks and Caicos, not strictly a fishing trip, but the added bonus of trying for Bonefish while celebrating our 20th anniversary.
  9. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +271 / 0
    A little off topic, but I have a 9' 8wt RS4 and I'd really like to see how a 9 or 9'6" 6wt RS4 fishes. The 8wt RS4 is a great rod for the price though and I believe was designed to cast like the CPS but for less money (it's heavier).