Redington Sonic Pro pants (review)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Pete Bridge, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Pete Bridge

Pete Bridge Member

Just received the Redington sonic pro pant as an early Fathers Day gift. I figured I'd throw my two cents in for those who may be looking for a similar wader. First thing first I was attracted to the Sonic Pro technology due to the fact that they are welded rather than stitched. So I researched all the different "pant" models available and was surprised to see that many of the prices are not much less than a full chest wader. I have always been a Patagonia guy but I'm open to try anything. In my research I read many good things about the Redingtons but the price being approximately $100 cheaper than many others I was left skeptical. After much consideration, I finally decided on the Redingtons as they were to serve me more for summer small water and backpacking. To start with, getting them out of box it was nice to see they come with a mesh storage bag and they felt lighter than expected but the material did not appear to be compromised. Tried them on and they fit almost perfect in the large just a tad long but that's no big deal for me (I'm 5'10" and weigh 220). The neoprene socks on the waders fit almost perfect and do not a lot of slop the way some other waders I've used do. The hooks on the gravel guards seem stout and plenty capable though being made of plastic. There are both adjustable Velcro waist straps and suspenders which is nice if you have a preference.

Now for a field test. I chose to break these things in not too delicately. I picked a spot that involved biking on gravel, hiking on trail and severe bush whacking with a menagerie of vegetation that my exposed skin didn't fair as well as the waders did. They proved breathable enough for heavy exertion and so tough mowing through deadfall, blackberries and alders on very steep (and I am a climber as well) terrain to get to the stash that I would be testing the waterproof capabilities on. Once on the water I had no issues at all, again these are very comfortable and feel as if they move with every step or lunge or pedal. All in all these appear to be a very solid choice especially for anyone who fishes skinny water or backpacks. If I could recommend one thing to Redington though on these, it would be to put one more layer on the seat and knees just for piece of mind.

Hope this helps.

2. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Thanks for the review on lightweight waders for small water and backpacking. I use contractor knee pads for wader/knee protection. They weigh next to nothing and add little bulk to my kit when nested. The padding is closed cell foam that doesn't absorb water with a synthetic fabric covering and a hard plastic cap. Velcro straps keep them secure. It's so nice to be able to kneel down on the shore or the riverbed to keep a low profile and release fish comfortably while protecting my waders.

3. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

Thanks for the review, I have actually been thinking about picking up a pair mayself!

4. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

I think my next pair of waders will be pants. If I'm deeper than that I'm probably in trouble.
    Thanks for the review. BTW, where did you buy them? I'd like to try a pair on for fit.

5. Pete Bridge

Pete Bridge Member

Bitterroot, I couldn't find them locally so I had to go Internet. Got from a shop in Colorado called avidmax I believe. I think the evening hatch carries redington as well as creek side but they never had that model.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I saw something like these in the Cabala's Catalog. They were called Wader Jeans. These have patch pockets. But they come with boots attached. Price about the same. $259.99.

They would be perfect here in Montana in the summer time(if summer would just show up).

7. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

It will be interesting to see how long they last.

I was a beta tester for the zipper front Sonic Pro's. I got over 100 days of use prior to the zipper failing. The waders did not leak.

I have heard mixed reports about reliability and durability. A friend had three days on his Sonic Pro's when a seam blew.

8. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

My latest pair was sadly cheaper than my first pair. They definitely changed manufacturing subtly. Obviously this was to make more profit not to make the wader more durable...The layering is a lot less rugged feeling that is for sure. Blackberries were extra quick at ripping them up compared to my old ones.

9. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

That's a bummer. I was impressed with how the beta's held up. They even made it threw a sharp bolt on a trailer that I fully expected to result in a big hole...nothing.

That being said, the two times I've dealt with Redington customer service, I had a positive experience.

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Love my Sonic Pro waders. First pair leaked in the right foot the second or third time out. My local fly shop swung them by the factory and had a brand new pair waiting for me when I got off work that day.

I find myself turning to Sage/Redington for more and more of my gear these days. It's just too hard to beat the 30 minute drive to the factory for any warranty work.