Redington spey rods on sale, any good?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by ducksoup, Feb 16, 2005.

1. ducksoup

ducksoup New Member

Cabela's has the 12'6" 7/8 Redington spey rods on sale for $140.00. I've heard some say this is a great deal because these rods are actually made by Sage and I've heard some say they are mediocre at best. Does anyone have the real skinny on these? Thanks for your help.

2. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

They are a good buy at that price. They are decent dry line summer rods.

3. Jumbo

Jumbo Member

a steal!!!!
    these are damn fine rods for the price, although the 8 and the 10 are better the 12'6" 7/8 is aOK!

4. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    SpeyRodBeBop,
    Why do you say that they'd make a dry line summer rod?

Slow action, don't cast tips or heavy flies well??????????

Don

5. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

They will cast light tips and sinking leaders. Try anythig heavy and it will have you swearing. They make a 14' which is much better suited for heavy tips.

6. ssickle1

ssickle1 Slow and Low

Media:
    Reddington was bought by Sage so they could sell some cheaper rods. Do yourself a favor and buy the actual Cabellas Spey if you are looking for a good deal. That rod will do whatever you need to do.

7. Verne

Verne Member

I have the 14' Redington redfly and consider it a very good rod for tips or dry lines.
    I also have the new Redington RS3 spey rod in 13'3" 7 wt. It appears to be a very good rod also, except for the cork quality, which isn't up to the redflys. I am trying different lines on it now, the 7/8 airflo delta seems best. It casts wet tips in its weight range.

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a better idea too:

Go to a real, local Fly Shop. Try out a few good quality Spey rods until you find one you really like. Then buy it from the Fly Shop. Yes; it will cost a little more than a catalog sale. (Most shops will work with you on lay-away etc.) It will also last a lot longer than a cheap rod. And you won't find yourself wishing you had bought a better rod after three months of struggle with a piece of crap!

Our local Fly Shops are here to serve. We have some of the best Spey Casting and Spey fishing experts in the world right here in the Pacific Northwest. Buying from the catalogs and the undercutting internet sales outfits, undermines the foundations of our fly fishing heritage here. It it werent for the people here who live to Spey cast, design rods and lines, have invented techniques and have taught the manufacturers everything they know about our Spey fishing needs here- we would still be in the dark ages of fly fishing with glass rods and lead core trolling lines.

I think that merits some respect and loyalty.

9. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    Bob, what you say is true. I support what you say. For me, the Redington was a chance to get involved in the two-handed world at an entry level price. I think there is some merit to that. After I tried some lines on the rod and found a match, I bought a reel and multi-tip line from my local shop (www.speyshop.com). Although I didn't spend the initial $150 at my local shop, I am sure my local fly shop will benefit from my further involvement in the two-handed world. Right now, I'm trying to figure out if my next two-hander will be a 6/7 or 7/8 greaseliner for summer steelhead, or if I want to go for scandinavian-style overhead rod for salmon fishing from the beach.

If you are in the Seattle/Bellevue area, the best thing I can recommend is to go to Aaron's day on the river. You can find the innovators that Bob mentions in his post in the flesh.

10. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    Well said Bob!!!

11. Verne

Verne Member

The local fly shops have lead me astray too many times. Nor do many have a large assortment of spey rods to handle or even let you try them. The person you generally talk to is a minimum wage stiff that doesn't know or care what you get.
    True some like my old mentor Roy Patrick are different, but it is buyer beware in the shops I have been in in recent years.

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Verne, I guess you don't get around much. :rolleyes:

13. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Verne:

You must have found the crappiest shop in Washington. I have visited many shop and have found great advice from experienced fly studs is almost the rule! Sounds like you may be shopping at Gart Sports. Spey rod selection? Washington is home to some of the best fly rod/spey rod manufactures this side of the ocean. These rods are not hard to find in almost any shop. I can guarantee one thing, if you click on any of the sites that you see flashing above you and you'll get great service. If you want the cheapest prices for low-end gear; you get what you pay for!

Apply this formula:

Ferrari Quality = Ferrari Service

Geo Quality = Geo Service

14. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    Verne,

River Run Anglers

Aaron has a few rods and lines for you to try. :thumb:

15. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    I second the opinion about going to see Aaron's spey group. I know I will buy from Aaron when I get good enough to figure out what rod is best for me. He and his gang have provided me a heck of a lot of great instruction. I believe the value of that far exceeds anything you could save on line. There is a unique community here for spey fishing and it should be fostered. I also believe he had Reddington rods to demo.

Joe Smolt

16. Verne

Verne Member

A few facts, as I see them.
    Price doesn't necessarily relate with quality or usefulness. I have learned not to discount any fly rod on price alone.
    I emailed River Run with a question about the availablily of a rod I wanted, but they never replied.
    I have visited most of the fly shops in this area, so I am somewhat familiar with what they have.
    You cannot really tell if a spey rod is what you want without using it on the river with several lines.
    I have been in Gart and they are at least friendly.
    I would rather go fishing than attend sportsmen shows, spey claves or etc.

17. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    Verne,

River Run is a one man shop. Aaron has a full time job besides being the best
    shop for two-handers around. Every weekend he brings at least 20 different
    rods down to the river and twice that number in reels and lines.
    He offers a service you will not find anywhere! Maybe he didn't get your email.
    I wouldn't give up on him that easy. If you need spey gear or just want to shoot
    the shit there is no finer place to do it.

18. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

I am a big fan of Aaron, I live in BC, but I am giving serious consideration to nipping down to his Saturday Clave to shop for a new 16' spey rod. That said however, the Reddington is still a good buy for someone on a budget. The 13' may not cast a sinking head without a lot of effort, but neither will a Sage traditional or several other traditional action rods at substantially more money. It doesn't mean they are bad rods--like the Reddington, they are simply not designed for the task.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If you want first rate instruction,just go down to the river on Saturday morning. You will have some of the finest spey casters around this area teaching you and all for free. About the only thing wrong with Aaron's shop is that he is only open two days a week and a little while after his spey classes on saturday.

I tried to do it but I prefer the single hander. I just feel better that way. Some can do it and I can't. But I'm not against it.

Jim

20. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Verne:

You asked for advice on the Redington brand, you got some and apparently didn't like the responses. Hint: Don't ask for advice you don't want.

You are right, price doesn't guarantee quality at some level. When comparing a Redington to a Sage or GLoomis, IT DOES!

When comparing an Orvis Battenkill to a Ross Evolution, IT DOES!

You sound pretty closed-minded, so good luck with the Redington. I'd suggest a Spey Class to hone your casting, but you'd rather be fishing, right?

As for the shops, they probably don't want your business. I am pretty sure you're the guy who shows up with a internet purchased rod, reel, and line; buys some backing and then asks for the shop to set the whole system up for you.

Another equation I've learned: Low margin, price shopping customers are always the biggest pain in the old ass. Short on profit, high interaction costs, and ALWAYS full of complaints! Stay on the internet, it sounds like a match made in heaven......