"Rediscovering" Old Patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thom Collins, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

Here's one from "the book" (Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns; published and sold by Patrick's Fly Shop over a long period of time, I think my edition is from sometime in the sixties). The Puget Bug: Roy attributes it to Enos Bradner, from 1954.
    IMG_0796.JPG

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

That is one seriously fishy looking fly. Love it.

3. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

So far, from the Patricks book I've tied...
    Black spook ★
    Pauls grey hackle ★
    Swamp angel
    Big hole demon #2
    Red dragon

The ones with a star have caught fish. Have yet to try the others.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  4. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

I've been tying something nearly identical minus the biot tail for about 10 years. Guess I'm naturally old school. Good!

5. Thom Collins

Weighted?

6. Jim Speaker

YES!!! IT'S HERE!

Just as I remembered it... Even found the page that was the source of my memory of the phrase, "If they won't take a Montana Bucktail you may as well go home."

Sweet! Time to tie up some classics. :D

[​IMG]

Jim Wallace likes this.
  7. Jim Speaker

Okay, here are my first couple renditions of favorite patterns from the ol' book from when I was a kid. I must say, I was better (in better practice) at tying in matched duck primary wings upright and divided when I was a kid - and I had almost no tools back then, just a thompson model A, scissors, and my fingers.

#12 Montana Bucktail -- had to go thread body on this guy since I had true orange thread but no true orange floss (yet), oh, yeah, and I need to pick up some coastal deer hair, substituted light elkhair:
    [​IMG]
    I think the Montana Bucktail will be a killer on the upper South Fork of the Snoqualmie...

#16 Royal Coachman
    [​IMG]

I'll have to go to Pacific Fly Fishers tomorrow and see if they have some dyed red duck primary (have a feeling probly not) as I really want to tie a Parmachenie Belle and try my hand at a married wing. Interestingly, the pattern in Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns is a dry, but when I looked up that pattern online I just saw wet variations. Even an old article I found in Pennsylvania Angler, which refers to it by the old spelling Parmachenie Belle, not Parmachene, refers to a wet fly. Hm. I really like the wet variation, and figure that's how I'm going to tie it despite the Patrick's pattern book referring to #8-16 3x fine hook and notated as (dry).

Fun stuff!

Jim Wallace and Thom Collins like this.
  8. Jim Speaker

#12 Professor. Enjoying these classy patterns. I mean, what fly these days has a gold tinsel tip? :)

[​IMG]

9. Thom Collins

Keep 'em coming Jim.

10. Jim Speaker

Ok...

#12 Gold Ribbed Hares Ear
    [​IMG]

That's all I've got for tonight... the lacquer just dried on this one. For the "Blue Dun Grey Dubbing" it called for I went with muskrat underbody fur, as it's about as blue dun grey as it gets and has similar properties to hares ear guard hairs and all.

11. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Hmmmm..... I only detect 4 wraps of ribbing. Everybody knows the tying elite have edicted 5 turns of ribbing to be proper. This one cannot be fished with a bamboo rod nor wearing tweeds. It is a very nice wet fly.

12. Jim Speaker

The pattern in Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns by Roy Patrick specifically called for 4-wraps of narrow gold tinsel. I take Roy's word when it comes to what is proper. I do believe this one is tweeds-worthy and cane-worthy. ;)

Gary Knowels likes this.
  13. bitterroot

Help! Help! Help!
    I pulled out my Patricks book to look up the Montana Bucktail and discovered that I am missing 2 pages from my book, I.e. 64,65 & 66, 67.
    Could one of you fine upstanding gentlemen photocopy those pages and send them to me? I can get the pages slot punched. I can pm my mailing address.

14. Jim Speaker

Send me a PM with your email address. I will scan and send as a PDF so you can print them.

If you don't have a printer I'll send in the mail.

15. bitterroot

Thanks, Jim! PM enroute....

16. Jim Speaker

#12 Parmachenie Belle. First time tying a married wing fly. Took me awhile!

[​IMG]

Thom Collins likes this.
  17. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Jim,

What material did you get for the wings? Duck or goose, wings or shoulders?

18. Jim Speaker

Pacific Fly Fishers only had goose shoulder dyed red. So, I went with goose shoulder for the tail and the wing.

I would have preferred to have either mallard drake primary or goose quill for the tail, as it has more curve and would have produced better separation on the split tail. The mildly curved goose shoulder is great for the wing, though.

On another note: boy, shops just don't have any more than the basic colors of floss these days. I mean, I get it, if it doesn't sell and turn around frequently, it's a liability for the shop to carry it. Anyway, I'll have to place an order with the info you PM'd me to get some of the classic colors or nearest matches I can find, like true orange floss, golden orange floss, etc.

19. Jim Speaker

Here's a couple more. First pic is of the Pink Lady in #12. Second pic is a couple Montana Bucktails and a Queen of the Waters wet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim Wallace and Thom Collins like this.
  20. Jim Speaker

Here's the Classics Box so far. Some of them have clearly been fished (and caught fish!) Specifically I've fished and caught on GRHE, Parmechenie Belle, and Montana Bucktail. No love for the Professor. The others are waiting to be fished and I particularly look forward to the #8 Thunder Mountain for the fast water I'm enjoying swinging in.

Left to right, top to bottom: Thunder Mountain, Queen of the Waters, Puget Bug, Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, Parmechenie Belle, Professor, Motana Bucktail (x2), Pink Lady, Royal Coachman.

[​IMG]