"Rediscovering" Old Patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thom Collins, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +215 / 1
  2. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +231 / 0
    It was President Dwight D. Eisenhower favorite fy that's all i know

that and it works

The H and L Variant is an old-timer among rough-water dry flies. It has wings and a tail of calf tail. The method most tiers use for the body is to partially strip a peacock quill, when wrapped, the bare quill forms the rear half of the body and the fiber-covered quill the front half. This allows you to create both the front and rear body sections in one step, and a thin layer of head cement over the thread-wrapped shank will help toughen the body. I prefer to tie in both halves of the body separately as shown - with a bit of head cement on the bare quill, this body is tough indeed. The H and L Variant is sometimes tied with over-size hackle, in traditional variant fashion, and it is sometimes tied with hackles of conventional size; I prefer the conventional. The H and L Variant is also referred to as the House and Lot.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    I thought it was Jimmy Carters' favorite. Isn't he also a flyfisher?

A lot of the folks that sat in the Oval office were fly fishers.

Never fished the pattern myself. Never found need of it. I prefer
    other attractor flies, i.e. Humpies in olive, yellow, orange or red.
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Thanks for that. I am assuming that by traditional variant you are referring to the Neversink Skaters, Hewitt flies and other high riding extra long hackled flies.

TC
  5. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +231 / 0
    I have no Idea what you are talking about I down loaded info from the internet
    ALLS I KNOW IS....I tie em ,they are and older pattern, and they work

great post thanks for stating it
  6. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
  7. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    Fly patterns don't stop producing, they just become passe. Flyfishers are just as fickle as the young lasses that, for a short while until the fad passed, hung our beloved hackles in their hair.

Sometimes, when fish are hitting, I just start randomly switching flies just to see what they DON'T hit. Often they'll take almost anything anything even vaguely like the first one....and by 'vaguely' I don't mean a fly pattern variation, but maybe just the same general color and size.

We buy magazines that feed our fantasy of thinking we know what we're doing....from reading them you'd think fish are evolving at a very rapid pace.
    dfl and Thom Collins like this.
  8. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +431 / 0
    Yep. They're not evolving except at their same old slow pace. In the course of fly fishing history, this is basically not at all, not even a "geologic blink."
    dfl and Krusty like this.
  9. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    Ed Zachary
  10. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    I like to go into my collection of old "Salmon Trout Steelheader" to find classic flies. I have all the issues '67-'80 and in each one was an article about a popular fly, many by Mark Bachmann, who now owns The Fly Fishing Shop in Welches, Oregon.
  11. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
    The Supervisor. A Maine smelt pattern from the 1940's that works for many species besides Atlantic Salmon. I've always liked this fly and use it often. Works well for sea run cutthroats, especially in the spring when there are chum and pink fry around. Although I haven't tried it yet for silvers, I'm betting it would work. I also use it in lakes. Generally, I tie them smaller and "skinnier" than the original Carrie Stevens style streamer.
    Jack
    View attachment 34725 View attachment 34860 View attachment 34726
    Jim Wallace, Thom Collins and Krusty like this.
  12. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    aw, the memorys of classic flies. I need to go and tie up some of these. thanks for starting this post. great fun and I need to get Patricks book. thanks.
    Outlaw
  13. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    image.jpg

A few weekends ago I got a coho in fresh water on this Thunder Mountain. I played a little game of "what won't they strike." Good fun!
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  14. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Jack, I like that Supervisor. The late Doug Rose wrote about it in his blog. I'll bet it would be a great pattern to troll in Lake Crescent in the Spring when the Kokanee fry are still schooling near the surface. I was thinking of swapping over the colors in the tail and beard. Gonna maybe tie one up with a white tail and red beard.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  15. Thom Collins Active Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    Here it is November and great posts still are still trickling in. Wonder if there would be enough interest for a old school/clasic fly pattern swap? Probably been done though.
  16. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Jim, I was thinking the same thing about this pattern and will probably have some on hand when I go to Lake Crescent next June...
  17. Jack Devlin Active Member

THE GIMP.
    Recently, someone posted a fly tied with an "aftershaft" feather. I was immediately reminded of an (obscure) pattern I tied many years ago which I found in an early "learn-to-tie" book I had. It was only a sixty or so page book by LACEY GEE . I still have the book but the cover is missing and I can't recall the title. The pattern is the "Gimp". I just made up a few. The GIMP is tied on a number 10 trout hook with a dun hackle tail, a grey wool body with two little "aftershafts" wings of the kind found only (as far as I know) at the base of the tippet feathers of the Golden Pheasant and the Amherest Pheasant. It is finished with a sparsely wrapped dun hackle collar. Quite easy to tie and I can vouch for its effectiveness for trout. I am sure that a larger version would surely be an effective Steelhead fly. I plan to try it.
    I wonder if anyone is familiar with this pattern? LACY GEE hailed from the great state of Nebraska and the book was published in 1955.
    Jack IMG_1637.jpg IMG_1640.JPG
  18. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +322 / 0
    I am slow to find this thread, but it made for awesome Sunday morning reading.

I pulled out my copy of Roy Patrick's book and a 1965 edition of Flies of the Northwest so I could join in the fun. I am tying a box of flies for ou club Christmas auction.

Here is more inspiration. Many have seen some version of this I know, but I am sure many have not.

Gil Nyerges builds fly plates for local clubs. Usually with a spin off of his NW Favorites plate. I bought one a few years back. Gil's Nyerges Nymph is tied on the tippet at the top of the frame.

Gil painted the picture, cut the glass, built the frame and of course.... tied the flies. IMG_20131124_085557_470-1.jpg
  19. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1

The Nyerges Nymph.... I first heard of that at Ebey Lake in 1974. I was flogging the water from shore and these guys were out in float tubes catching trout. They spoke in code based off of their fly boxes..... three down and second to the right. Finally I had to ask them what the heck they were using and they finally spoke the truth.... a nyerges nymph. I had to ask, "what is that?" The ice was broken as one of them kicked to shore and shared some flies. A lesson was learned that day to always check your hook point if you are ticking brush behind you. I broke the point off and missed a number of strikes after that. Didn't find out why until quitting time. Someone blew the beaver dam that year and we had to hike in from below Hell Creek ( I think that was the name).
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  20. Jack Devlin Active Member

I've never fished the Nyerges Nymph but I have a friend who never shuts up about the pattern.:) The ones he ties look more like a wooly worm with a crewcut. The original pattern just had hackles fibers below the body.
    Great to see the beautiful fly plate and painting and nice to see the actual fly. Thanks for showing us.
    Jack
    Jeff Dodd likes this.