Reel and line needed for beginner

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by D.fisher, Oct 21, 2013.

1. D.fisher

D.fisher New Member

So I got a rod from my grandpa a while back. It is Fenwick woodstream FF837. So it is 8'3" and says it takes 7 wt line. I did not get a reel, line, fly's, or anything else. I was wondering where to start? I do not have a lot of money by any means. I'm looking for something that will last me a while but not break my very small bank.

Also, for a beginner, where so I go on these forums? And any info about the poll and what type of fishing it might be good for is also appreciated. I live in Lynnwood, so I e-mailed the edmonds club. Thanks again in advance.

Krusty likes this.
  2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi D.fisher-

Firstly, welcome to the forum. When I was about the same age as is listed on your profile, my father gave me his spare fly rod. It was also a 7 weight, and I used it for a few years. Without that rod, I might never have gotten started fly fishing.
    Well, you have already gotten started, first by contacting a fly fishing club, and also posting your questions on the washingtonflyfishing.com forum.
    You are already in the right forum. However, try using the search function for any topic you want to learn more about.
    A 7 weight fly rod might be a bit heavy for trout in lakes or rivers, but will certainly work, and may be the ideal weight for searun cutthroat and silver salmon from saltwater beaches.

Hope this helps,

3. D.fisher

D.fisher New Member

Well, I like to hear that it might be better for searun. Does that mean casting from beaches? I don't have a boat, but Edmonds and and mukilteo are close to me. I don't know time of years for fishing the area, but I can research that.

Biggest thing I'm wondering is about the weight of line. I did try the search function and found a post that says, anything that isn't crap is good. Not understanding the weights of line and such is my learning curve right now it seems. I'm still reading though.

4. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

5. Taxon

6. Roger Nott

Roger Nott Member

Surprised there are not more inputs on this as there should be many Fenwick owners around here. I can voice some opinions. I don’t have the 8’3” 7wt Woodstream among my Fenwicks but I do have a 8”6” 6wt Feralite which is kind of close. Most contemporary reels are probably going to be a bit light for this rod and a Battle Star Gallactica looking thing won’t match the vintage (my opinion). By the way fiberglass and classic reels are “in”. I’d be looking for something traditional around 5.5 – 5.75 ounces which, with backing and 7wt line, will put you near 7 ounces in total weight. Pflueger Medalist, Martin 67 series, or even something newer with traditional looks like an Okuma Sierra 7/8 might work but the latter will probably be a tad light. Many of these classics can be found in excellent or even new condition for $20 - $30 on the used market or online auction sites. If going this way consider whether you retrieve “left hand wind” or “right hand wind” as some of the older reels are not changeable.

For lines these rods are not looking for anything fancy or with a specialty taper. I’m thinking in terms of “standard” lines like Cortland 444 WF7F, Scientific Anglers Wet Cell, or others that you can find in the $20 to $30 range with a little online shopping. You’ll need backing for the reel too. 100 to 150 yds of 20 – 30 lb Dacron braid will do for about $10. I’m sure there are videos on line that show how to spool this up on the reel and attach a leader. Or someone in the local club you mentioned would probably be happy to help.

70s vintage glass is a bit of a different animal from contemporary graphite so some opinions may not apply. Fiberglassflyrodders.com, the Fiberglass Manifesto, or people who are obviously old farts will likely steer you right on this one.

Ps. Don’t call it a pole, it’s a rod. Poles are what Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer fished with :rolleyes:

Krusty likes this.
  7. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

8. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Any 7 wt floating line from a prominent brand ought to do quite nicely...the main thing will be to get a weight forward (WF) line. It will make casting easier than a level line.

I sure wish they'd a had the internet when I started out....but the telegraph had barely been perfected.

Welcome to a lifetime of flyfishing enjoyment and misery!

9. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Hey man, welcome to the forum.

Some might disagree with me but I know a lot will strongly agree. If theres one thing to not skimp on with a fly outfit (in my opinion) it is the fly line. Sure you can fish for years just fine with a very cheap line. That being said a nice line will help you cast much, much better. I started with a cheap line and caught fish, but when I bought a high end line I not only casted straighter, further, and more accurately..but I learned to cast much better too in that the shooting head on it helped me learn proper timing on double hauls, etc.

When you figure out what weight line you want I suggest you check out the classifieds here and pick up a high quality used line if you want to save $$, or go new if you don't mind spending the extra cash.

A 7 weight rod is pretty cool to be honest. You can trout fish, beach fish, even steelhead. While not "THE BEST" rod for those (many would argue a 5 for trout, 6 for beach, and 8 for steelhead), you can do all of them just fine in most cases. Once you try out the different options around here you can figure out what you really like and buy an outfit for that specific fishery.

Good luck

Taxon likes this.
  10. D.fisher

D.fisher New Member

Thanks again taxon for the help. More reading for me to do, but that is a good thing.

Well I was no ways going for an "in" thing, but an inheritance. I'm disappointed that there wasn't a reel to go with the rod. I'm sure my grandpa had it, but in his move to a smaller place, it was hectic who was getting what and were. I have heard the pflueger medalist mentioned before, as have I heard the name martin. I will have to look into those. Besides for myself, I'm trying to get a list together, as that is how we do it in my family. Make a list, than if presents are bought people get what they want. I know some know Im looking, and would be much happier getting something I want.

I saw a video on how to put line on a reel. Looked simple enough. I will add those lists of line to my list.

I can stop calling it a pole. :) I think I stumbled on that sight, as it looks familiar. Thanks for the tip though.

Thanks dipnet for more info to read.

Krusty - I saw lists of all the lines. I think it was mentioned else where you can try them, but sometimes it is personal preference. I might try that for my first line.

Golfman44 - I have read that it is better to get quality line than not. I can see this.

Anyway, thanks for advice everyone. I will try and get pictures of the rob up here. It is in really good condition. I have a cloth bag as well as a tube for it, so I plan on keeping it in as good condition as possible.

Edit:
    Almost forgot, any local to lynnwood wa know scribber lake? It says it is stocked, year round and has bass. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/52/ and the weight article posted above said 7 works for bass. Sounded like an ok place to practice, as it is close to me.

11. Taxon

Hi D.fisher-
    Here is satellite view of it:

[​IMG]

Scriber Lake doesn't appear to have any beach access for fly casting, only that pier in the NE corner, which looks like it has railings, which would interfere with fly casting, and probably result in a broken ROD.

Were it me, I'd be looking for somewhere with a lot of open space for my practice casting. It doesn't require water. Grass is probably a better idea anyway. It's not even a good idea to have a hook on the the end of your leader, as a beginner is quite likely to hook himself/herself, or worse yet, someone else. Just tie a bit of bright yarn on the end of your leader so you can easily see where it lands.

And, never lay your ROD down on the ground, as there is a high likelihood of it getting stepped on and broken.

Best regards,

12. D.fisher

D.fisher New Member

point taken. I will find somewhere else to fish.

13. PT

PT Physhicist

Lake Ballinger is close and you can beach cast at the park. A Pfleuger with Cortland 444 wouldn't be a huge investment and was the standard for many. You could pick up an $80 flyline but I don't really see the point. Get what works with your budget. You can use the heck out of it and upgrade later.

Have you been to Ted's Sports Center? If you talk to Mike and let him know your budget, I'm sure there's a line back on the wall that would work just fine. I might even have an older Pfleuger for you if you really are tight on funds.

Taxon likes this.
  14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Nothing wrong with that Cortland 333 fly line. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It was one of the first lines out there. Cheap also.

15. D.fisher

D.fisher New Member

I will look at ballinger. I was hoping for a year round place close. I have thought about medowdale beach park, but hadn't looked it up yet.