Reel balance

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman44, May 16, 2014.

1. too much faggy spey science up in here, seriously string it an fling it

sopflyfisher and Danielocean like this.
  2. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Evan I didn't ask about balancing a center pin please stick to your area of expertise

3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Erring on the heavy side is easily corrected. Adjust your swinging hold grip a little closer to your reel, This also provides a notable casting benefit if you use mostly bottom hand power. Try it.

David Dalan and sopflyfisher like this.
  4. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    When you hit neutral balance right on your two hander it is truly a beautiful thing. It really makes hanging onto and managing your rod/line/swing effortless which you will notice at the end of a long day or week for that matter. It just feels right, like its a perfect extension of you. I think most people are running too heavy of a reel now that I pay attention to it. Especially with uber light short rods, it's really easy to do. But that's my humble opinion. If you have the 7126 method think about similar classed light weight reels. It'll cost ya a bit of $$$ but a properly balanced reel will really compliment the featherlight rod. Which is what you are essentially paying for.

On my deathstar I run a hardy salmon 2 and now after a season fishing mainly my 8133-3 Burkie and Abel Spey clicker I can say that hardy is too heavy. The longer heavier Burkie is so dialed it feels weightless during the swing. Where the Death Star, when I'm fully relaxed with a comfortable grip, is starting to plane tip up. Look up the specs and see what that reel weighs (off the top of my head I think its 10.5 oz empty??). For me my next reel for that rod will be at least an ounce lighter. If not more.

But hey that's just me.

Darthmonkey, Evan Burck and golfman44 like this.
  5. centerpins have the adijustibality to be mounted at multiple positions. you have the luxury of putting in where it balances best

6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

What in the hell is a centerpin? You will have to excuse my ingnorance as this must be a bead tossers term.lol

7. Yes and it throws yarn especially well too

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    to the original question, 8-9 oz should balance that rod nicely.
    As Fred said, balanced at your hold point with the line out, swinging, slightly tip up. When reeled in, it will feel a little butt-heavy.
    This makes a difference -a substantial difference- in fatigue over the course of a long summer's day of fishing. A properly balanced rod lessens fatigue so much that you can still be casting well at the end of the day. Which is why experienced spey casters pay attention to it.
    It's helpful to balance even the shorter rods, and it starts becoming a major thing on longer sticks like 14' and up.
    On rods like the one you describe, I usually use like a Lamson 4 or something like. I have lightly built 12'6" customs that I use lighter reels on though.
    Sometimes I have to add a bit of weight to the reels to balance the outfit too.

9. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the replies. I went with the sage 4210. Its 7.5 oz so I can add a little bit of weight if needed but I think it should be dynamite. But at the end of the day as long as I'm in the ball park thats okay with me

Danielocean likes this.
  10. SpeySpaz

Media:
    one good cheap way to add weight is to spool on some leadcore trolling line under your backing. Easy to add small amounts of weight that way.
    Good luck in your fishing and enjoy your new "man jewelry" as I heard Timmy Rajeff recently describe his reels.

golfman44 likes this.
  11. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    I'm gonna wear bright red lipstick when I fish to match my rod and reel.

David Dalan likes this.
  12. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

I have used heavy and light reals on many different two handers and never noticed a diminishing of casting performance. It is more important to get a real that has a great consistent drag in all types of weather conditions, a reputation for durability and holding the amount of line that you need to do the job.

13. SpeySpaz

Media:
    I agree with you on all your points about reels, soundfly. And there is very little enhancement of casting, that's not what I'm talking about, though I'm sure some world-class casters would disagree with you.
    I'm referring not to the two second cast, but about the long swing afterwards and all the other time spent holding the rod during the day. It adds up; think about holding the tip up on a 15'er with a light reel all day. Like I said, less critical on the shorter sticks, but still a consideration.

14. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

Having spent many years casting 15 and 16 foot rods all day with mid and long belly lines, swinging away, I can say reel weight makes no difference to me. Though I agree that some "World Class Casters" might disagree, They are not the final authority. I have found that after 25 years of spey casting and having spent time with guys who are regular Joes and some who are who the top casting guys, most casters of average ability won't know the difference.

15. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

I have a couple of two handers in the weight range you mention, and I use a reel that is 6.9 oz empty and used to use one that was about 9 oz empty. The 7 oz range seems pretty good. The 9 oz one was good as well. All things being equal, I'd take a bit too much heft over too little, but honestly I cannot say I think it matters much.

If you are in that 7-8 oz empty ballpark, you should be good. Lots of good tweaking advice here as well, if you are inclined to seek a more perfect balance.

Have fun! I admit, even though I have too many 2 handers already...that Red stick gives me the green eyed monster. Maybe I should spray paint my TCX :)

golfman44 likes this.
  16. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:

the reel worked just fine. was able to balance it on one finger on the cork during swings when i tried. granted the rod and reel are light enough as is that it doesnt really matter, but i can see why people obsess over balance on heavier/long rods.

i was surprised how nice the rod was even with me throwing the "wrong" lines on it. granted going from a $100 spey rod to this one probably contributed greatly to how nice it feels.

17. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

I'm sure that rod is the shit, no matter what you have been tossing. I am sure I'd enjoy fishing it as well :)

I'm with you on the light rod thing. With a combined out of the box weight of less than a pound, they all feel like there is almost nothing there to me.

18. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I fish Hardy bougle IV because they look good on all speyrods, my saraciones only look cool on 15foot or longer rods !

David Dalan likes this.
  19. SpeySpaz

Media:
    ... glad the reel choice balanced nicely for you! I think you'll likely enjoy fishing it like that.