Reel comparison

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chadk, May 1, 2002.

1. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    OK, how about reels. These are some of the ones I like. Any thoughts on these?

Redington Large Arbor Machined Disc Drag Reels 3/4 wt $129

Redington RS2 Disc Drag Fly Reels 3/4 wt $120

G.Loomis Adventure 3/4/5 wt $100

Ross Cimarron Flyreel 3wt $140

Pairing this up with a 9ft 4wt medium fast action rod.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
  2. steve s Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    well here's my advice on reels, ROSS, the quality is great and the customer service if ever needed is second to none. they guarantee to have your reel back to you in two days, can't beat that.
    good luck
  3. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Chadk,

I believe the Redington Large Arbor reels were discontinued. If you're patient and good at digging deep on the web, you might find them being closed out from some lesser known shops dumping inventory for almost half that $129. Maybe take a look at Redington's GD series reel? Personally, I would go with the Ross Cimarron - excellent quality and made in USA.

Greg
  4. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    I like the Ross as well. I have an 8wt Gunnison that I use for salmon/steelhead and I love it. But price is definately an issue at this point...

Thanks again for your input!
  5. espja New Member

chadk,
    Go with the Ross, I own a Cimmaron for a 4 wieght and it has yet to fail me. Your within 15 to 20 dollars of the other reels, you won't miss that money 10 years from now when the Ross reel is still serving you well.

My little plug,
    Joe
  6. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    If you're looking for low cost, good quality...I really like my new Orvis Rocky Mountain large arbor reel- $80. Love it, great quality (to me, anyway), and has cassette spools which are only $15 each. I've had great luck with Orvis customer service. Now I have one reel for all my 5 weight lines, which I'd never be able to afford with a higher priced reel....and was able to spurge on good lines.
  7. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I use a Ross Cimarron 2 on my 9ft 5wt Sage trout outfit that has served me well over the last few years. The Ross has never failed me! Price is still in that "Wont break the bank" range.

Jay
  8. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Thanks for all the input.

I ended up with a 9' 4wt Sage DS2 and the Ross Cimarron #1. I'm very pleases so far and have already C&R'd a few fish to break it in.

-Chad