reel foot won't fit

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by mike doughty, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

i hate asking lots of questions, but i just built a 4 wieght rod and tried to put my 5 weight reel in the reel seat but the foot of the reel won't fit, it's to big. i don't hear that enough. anyway, is it possable that only a 3 weight or smaller will fit or did i get a defective reel seat. i plan on going and either buying a 3 weight reel when i get off of work to find out, but i thought i would ask here first.

2. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

I had a similar expierience with the 8 wt I buit a month ago. I had bought the reel & line beforehand with a cabelas gift certificate, and when the rod was finished the reel didn't fit. So I took it in to AATF where I built the rod and every reel they had at the store but one fit... so lucky me got to upgrade! The reel I had before was just a cheap cabelas brand reel that had a pretty thick coating on it. I would've had to file it down, but it would end up rusting easily if I did that, so instead I just sent it back to cabelas.

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Well, welcome to the world of unfortunate reality! When I build rods, I've gotten into the habit of actually having the reel in hand when I try to check the fit to the seat. There really isn't a whole lot that you can do other than modifying the reel (file it down, get a new reel seat foot), or removing the reelseat and trying a new one. There is an industry standard to this whole mess (can't remember what it is off the top of my head), but it's not always adhered to.

This is an even bigger problem in general with the older vintage reels. Quite a few folks love those Hardy Perfect reels, but it's usually pretty hard to find reel seats that accept the original feet. More often than not, they will have someone fabricate a new reel seat foot for them. Then again it kind of makes sense as the reel itself has a pretty high value.

Also, there are some brands that are a bit sloppier than others (PacBay comes to mind) in tolerances. Even if the reel seat is out of tolerances, if it's already installed your kind of still stuck with the first 2 options. Which brand of reel and reel seat was it? Was it a ready made seat, or was it a skeleton seat that you assembled? If I know what the parts were, I may be able to help track down some good alternatives if you need some. Also, Ron at AATF has a *very* good reputation for customer service (as well as know how), so he'd be an excellent resource also!

-- Cheers
    -- James

4. mike doughty

My problem is is that i have to order everything off line because no place around here sells rod building supplies, at least not that i have found. this is the first time i have had this problem. hopefully a 3 weight reel will be the fix

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

It's reely (!) a problem with older Pflueger Medalists. The One Pfoot company got it's start by designing and marketing replacement reel feet so older Medalists will fit on newer, smaller reel seats. http://www.onepfoot.com/

K

6. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

I too ran into this problem - PacBay seat that would not accept the reel I intended to use with it. I actually took it to the fly show in Bellevue last year to show the PacBay guys and ask what to do (secretly thinking they might give me a different reel seat). As it turned out - all their expensive reels fit the seat so they concluded it was not a problem.:rofl:

I ended up giving the finished set up to my brother with a small foot reel that worked. If I was going to keep it myself, I probably just would have just bought another seat.

As James pointed out, this "shouldn't" be a problem as the industry has standards to prevent this type of thing.

7. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

I second James recomendation on fitting the reel to a seat first beforehand. Second I've come to realize that most of the manufactures out there, if not all, tend to manufacture reel seats to tolerances for a CNC machined reel foot. Most of the Die-cast reel feet don't quite have the close tolerances as those of the CNC variety. I too had the same problem when I built my little 7'6" 4wt. I fitted a CD 3/4 reel to a seat and it was fine, but when I finally brought it home I've been temporarily using an old style SA 56L that I had to file down the front leg of the reel foot. The only reason I filed the reel foot down was cause there is going to be a Teton reel for this rod in the future.

By the way I can fit my big ass LS-4 on the same reel seat, kind of funny looking at that little 90" stick with a big 4.5" reel...:eek:

:cool:

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Just use a lot of Astro-glide :p :p

Serious...There are many reels and different Mfg-ers ..many have different tapered feet (Redington once being one of the worse in that they were so thick you could not get the toes under the hood very deep. I do not like seat /reels when they match > requiring digging into to seat ...it scratches the reel feet..and you will notice that the hood is not even..lock rings do not line up flush to hood. More common in open hoods. Another thing is reels with a longer neck so the reel is actually off the reel seat...some reels have a short neck and they (outer rim) actually are flush or into the reel seat....usually not a problem but line can get pinched ...(mainly if your reel is to full of line and backing) ..some of the older stamped sage reels were like this ...The diameter of the reel actually was below the top of the reel seat and if your lined piled on one side it would pinch between seat and reel. Boy I have dated myself or have not explained this well. Maybe none have encountered this before? :confused: I am a little anil over reel seat footing...because I hat reels/rod hoods that allow creep ...I like solid secure footings. That's all :beer2:

9. mike doughty

problem solved, sort of. i bought a 4 weight reel but that didn't work so i decided to try soem of my other reels that were already on rods and found that my ross rythym fit just fine so that will be the reel that always gets used with that rod. i checked another spare reel seat that i had laying around and it was the same problem.

10. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

The Struble D3 and U3 reel seats can accomodate the old stamped metal reels like Pfleugers. That's what I use on most of my bamboo rods. No financial interest, etc...

Tom

11. martinrjensen

martinrjensen BambooBoy

It really would be nice if there was some decent standard that manufacturers went by.... One thing I did was to file the corners off my Orvis CFO III. It was a bit oversized. Check out the edges. Maybe that is the only place that is hanging up.