Reel recomendation for steelhead

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by WA-Fly, Nov 4, 2013.

1. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    I'm looking for a good reel for steelhead I was thinking an echo ion or Lamson guru, thanks.

2. Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin Member

You can find good deals on Lamson Velocity and Litespeeds right now for less than a new Guru. Looks like new versions are coming out soon so they are discounted.

3. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    Yeah I checked Pacific fly fishers website and they have all the lamson reels for reel cheap, the velocity looks sweet!

4. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Great question, and I can tell you I owned them both. First I will be fair and say that you are dealing with apples and oranges. One reel costs 100.00 bucks and the other well over 250.00. With that said, I did not like the Echo Ion for reasons that the drag squealed badly, and was very annoying. Whenever you would strip line you would get squeak squeak squeak. When I jumped up to the Guru, I was very impressed, at the craftsman ship, click volume, and drag. However, I doubled my cost to get there. The ION will surely land fish for you too.

5. Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin Member

6. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    I have fished Ion, Guru and Velocity and liked them all. I started with the Ion and moved up to the Guru, only reason was I found one cheap also the same reason that I went from the Guru to the Velocity. I was fonder of Lamson only because they felt like more of a reel but to tell you the truth all reels landed fish without problems. I wish I stopped with lamson and never fished a Hardy :(

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  7. I've got the guru and velocity I love both of them

8. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

cough cough Hardy Marquis Salmon 2 cough cough

9. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Echo Ion can't be beat for the price. Also, you might look at Allen's large reel offerings. They have really cleaned up the issues that presented when they first came out. I would purchase either with confidence.

constructeur likes this.
  10. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Media:
    Another vote for any of the Lamson models. I have a couple Gurus and some of the older Konics and have caught Steelhead on both. Id check out the Lamson Velocity right now and pick one up on Clearance, cant beat getting that for 40-50% off!!

11. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Lamson..........they are great reels, made in the NW. They are great to deal with and great warranty. The clutch/bearing is easy to switch lhw to rhw. Also you can carry an extra for trips as that is about the only thing that goes wrong with the reel.

12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

x2. Classic reel. Have heard positive comments about the new (Korean) models as well. May in fact be better machined than the English models. Blasphemy I know.

13. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    I love the drag on lamson reels, I have caught trout 6+ pounds on a reel with out a drag it can be dun but a drag system makes it so much easier.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I think all my steelhead reels are Hardys. They must work pretty well. Been using them for 40 years. I do have a few others, but they've never gotten much use. Except for the custom Shamburg I've been using the last couple years. But it's not a rational choice.

Sg

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    that's actually not true (at least for the konic)

16. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    So how many Models do they make (?) and one is not made in their shop, ok????????????? The konic still has the same drag system as the top of the line reels. They are unlike many reel companies or companies that have reels made for them where most if not all are made overseas. Their customer service is great. You can call and the actually answer the phone and they answer emails also. So I will still stand behind my recommendation.

These days it is hard to buy bad gear these days. Just gets down to personal preference and experience.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  17. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    See, and I'm opposite. I prefer to NOT use a reel's drag and it seems inconsistent and cause the rod tip to jump which can break tippets. Even if a reel has a great drag, I prefer to use my palm to control runs. My hand hasn't let me down yet. (don't read into that sickos!):p

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think my facts got jumbled a bit. The reels other than the Konic are machined here, but the drags are imported from what I understand.

19. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Whoah buddy, Evan just stated a fact with no implied judgement or bias, and he wasn't questioning your recommendation.

Echo Ion reels are damn solid and a squeaky drag can be fixed with a little cleaning and light lube, no big deal. Jay of the http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/ uses them for salt fishing for kings and coho with no problems. They are quite durable and you can get extra spools for under $50.

Allen Alpha II is my go-to reel for steelhead and coho; tough to beat the weight, construction, and quality for the money, plus they frequently have sales and coupons.

PT likes this.
  20. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I set my drag very light when I use a reel with a drag. For steelhead I do not hold a loop and let the fish pull off the reel. I do not remember ever losing a fish because of the drag and do not experience any other issued mentioned. My velocity I can palm or use fingers as well as the drag when wanting to apply more pressure.

The other reel I use is a SpeyCo circle spey. Great reel and it is nice to know that a guy made it for me in his shop in Wisconsin. Those reels are tough and reasonable for what they are.