Reel recomendation for steelhead

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by WA-Fly, Nov 4, 2013.

1. I use several reels for steelies and on none of them do I set the drag any tighter that just to prevent over-run. This year, I'm fishing primarily with a Young Beaudex. Great reel...I'm really starting to enjoy reels without a rim control more and more. IMO, it helps me feel more connected to the fish (a combination of shorter glass rods plus that Beaudex). I also recently picked up a Valentine 95 (basically a Medalist on steroids) for both steelhead and any saltwater stuff that a 8/9wt is required. The one other reel that I really enjoy is a Hardy St. Aiden clone...there are multiple companies that put these out, mine is a Daiwa. Great reel and one of the loudest that I've ever heard. Last year I used a Hardy Marquis but ended up selling it off as it was redundant and I liked the other reels better (yes, even the Daiwa).

Charles Sullivan likes this.
  2. Steelhead rise better to Hardys.

Bamboo too.

3. Cool. I have been considering fishing a glass one hander. My shoulder have really improved recently and the idea of fishing one handed more is appealing. I can't see giving up the double to fish tips in the winter too much, but really need to do it for dry line fish. There is a smaller stream that I'd like to fish with glass for summer fish. Additionally, I could see using it on a couple of the smaller streams I fish in the fall.

My shoulders have been bad for so longI have essentially given up trout fishing etc. I could see using it on smaller peices to ease myself back into casting single handers. You gotta love how you can feel a glass rod load. Landing fish is also a joy, as I recall.

What other things do you like about steelheading with a single hand glass rod? What parts do you dislike?

Go Sox,
    cds

4. not to take too much away from this thread, but I think you nailed it already on the reasons I like it. Feeling the load, landing fish, plus just the overall fight I enjoy much better. I just feel more relaxed. Plus, I feel like I can land fish much much quicker because you have more leverage & you're fighting the fish with the entire rod. As far as it being tough on the shoulders, I can see that...one thing that I do towards the end of the day when I'm starting to get tired, is just cast two-handed. With the lines that they're coming out with now for SH rods (i.e. Ambush, etc.), they allow you to spey cast all day long with ease. I think the only downside is that my range is limited, but it's not too much of a downside because it forces you to focus on smaller pieces of water (even on larger rivers) & pick up fish from smaller spots that you may have overlooked...I don't really consider the lack of throwing tips a downside because I don't like doing that regardless of the type of rod I'm throwing.

5. Thanks Randall. I need to build the glass blank that I have for next fall.

Last year I fished with a couple of Canadians who were atlantic salmon fishermen and had only fished steelhead a bit. They fished singles w/ JW Youngs where everyone was swinging double handers. They did quite well. It looked like a hoot.

Do you have a fighting but on your glass road to 2-hand easier. I've thought it may be easier to teach 2-handed casting to my daughters than single, but maybe I could do both w/ a 9 foot 8 wt glass w/ a butt.

It sure is nice to have a flyfishing conversation here :).

Go Sox,
    cds

Derek Day likes this.
  6. I built an angler's roost 9'6'' 7/8 bamboo rod for fall steelhead. It's a blast. I'd highly recommend it.

7. Do you have a pic of that bad boy?

8. You'll notice that there is a wrap of tape above the cork. I got impatient waiting for my cork to drop-ship from Portugal and put a temporary handle, on because I wanted to fish it.

That fish took about half my backing. Oh yeah--getting the thread back on track. The reel was a St Aiden knock off (3 3/4''). I have another reel same size that fits a 400gr Skagit and 150 yds. of backing.

Attached Files:

9. DD, nice pics. I learned with an old bamboo rod and now considering building something along those lines.

10. Velocity 4 for $149.99 and Litespeed 4 for $195.99 @ steepandcheap.com, Gear Cache. Crazy prices. Just picked up a couple myself.

11. +1 for Speyco.
    Handmade in Green Bay, WI by guy that has been swinging flies for 20 years. Click & pawl with a lifetime, transferable guarantee. Rock solid reels. Can't beat 'em. Many options are available for your customization. You will pay more than $150, however.

I just ordered a Skandi model in silver/black with the snake roll handle to pair up with my TCX 7112. It should be here in about a week. ;)
    [​IMG]

JesseC likes this.
  12. I have a Ross CLA 5 for sale in the classifieds. Unused with backing and running line. The CLA is a solid, no frills reel with a legion of followers. Good bang for the buck.

13. I have the Daiwa (720, I believe) badged version of that. Solid reel for very little coin (I think I paid $40 for mine or something along those lines). It has a pretty large capacity with a very solid check.

14. I have an olympic and roddy badged verson. I think each one has been right around $40 shipped. I did have a pawl shatter on the roddy, after multiple LARGE Chinook ate my steelhead flies. I'd like to see if I can find some replcement guts from a st aiden.

15. Hardy is moving all of their reel production back to the UK in the next few months.

16. X2, at these prices they're cheaper than a Konic or Guru; though I prefer the 3.5 for sub-12' rod. Have 8 or 9 Lamsons and all dead-ass sturdy and service is the best. Hardys are nice but way too much $$$$ for what they are, the old Young, Beadrueax or similar click/pawls are much better value.

17. Buy the CLA 5 in the classified forum for cheap.

Itchy Dog likes this.
  18. second for speyco. made by one dude in the us of a. completely bulletproof.
    disc drag reels for steelhead are kind of gay. i mean really, what are you going to do with your other hand anyway? :eek:

MAD777 likes this.
  19. The man behind Speyco is a purr artist!
    His reels ought to be sold in a museum gift shop. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk