Reel size reco for Sage ONE 7-126-4

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Tool Fly, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Tool Fly Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Hey Folks, totally newbie to the 2-Handed game, so thanks for your patience. First, I'm looking at the ONE 2H in a 7#, for use on coastal streams in the winter and the Deschutes in the fall. Limited budget so rod has to do it all, from fall and lighter lines/flies to winter's deep dredging. First, thoughts over this rod in either a 12' 6" or 13' 6"? Will the added length be a help or hindrance over the course of a day?

But my foremost question was about reel size. I am also looking at Sage reels, and know a 6-7 reel won't be big enough (considering the 4200 series or 6000). Do I go up to a 7-8 sized reel, or all the way up to a 9-10 to accomodate the Skagit lines in a 7#?

Thanks in advance for all help.
  2. Tom Palmer Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I fished the 12'6" version for half-a-day last summer on the OP. Great rod and will easily work as an all-around stick. The length decision is a personal choice and there is no wrong answer... shorter and lighter vs longer reach and mending ability. If you really get in to the Spey game you will end up with multiple rods anyway... trust me!

For reel size, the One is already light + the downlocking reel seat. This would lead me to lighter weight reels to balance it out.

In the 4200 series the 4280 will work if you are OK with moderate backing. Or go with the 4210 knowing any line you choose will fit fine.

For the 6000, I would lean toward making the 6080 work. Maybe use the new Hatch backing to get the room needed... the next larger size I feel is too heavy for this rod.
    fredaevans and JS like this.
  3. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    4.25" diameter in a large arbour will fit any lines you might throw on that rod. smaller for std arbour.
  4. johnnyd Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 2
    I wouldn't worry about going too heavy on the reel. I have a 6126 One and I was using a 4" Hardy Bougle on it and that was just barely too heavy. Right now I am using the Abel Spey Reel with the solid spool and that feels perfect.
  5. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    since your looking for a do it all, have you considered an 8wt ? for less money than a one, you could get a burkie 7134, which is a stout 7/8 or an 8134 or 8128 classic. just call and talk to the owner. cant do that with sages shareholders. nearly impossible to find someone that doesnt love them. best part, made in WA, USA start to finish by guys that fish too much :D
  6. Tool Fly Member

seattle, wa
    Thanks you guys. Great info all around that I will put to good use. Much appreciated.
  7. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +724 / 0
    Best part about sage's is that they're made on bainbridge island. A quick ferry ride and you're there.

8wt is overkill.
    Jim Riggins and fredaevans like this.
  8. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    I have a tcx 7126 which is a very similar rod in many way. I use a 4 1/4" reel, large arbor. It holds the line very well with a reasonable amount of backing.
    Jim Riggins likes this.
  9. rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Tight Budget and a Sage One... im a little confused?
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    Tight meaning only one outfit for everything so if it's only one, you might as well make it a good one.
  11. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +508 / 0
    I've been out of the spey thing for some time now but one reel I thought was good for spey rods and I used was the Ross Big Game Canyon Fly Reel.....They are still around and pop up on ebay from time to time....a BG 5 or 6 in great condition can be had for 200.00 - 250.00 most of the time. Just a thought. Its a high quality reel, ross still carries parts for it, you can pick up extra spools easily and cheaply (especially off ebay or retail stores selling 2nd hand). IMHO this reel is much superior to what Ross puts out now for big reels.
  12. pirate Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    you could put a hatch 7 plus mid arbor on it and feel very comfortable but if you want a bit more weight, a hatch 9 plus large arbor would be sweet!
  13. Tool Fly Member

seattle, wa
    You are correct, Sir! Thanks again to all for the replies. I ended up going with the Sage 6126-4 and a 4210 reel. I might have been able to go with the 4280 as others pointed out, but it's so light to begin with that I opted for larger line/head capacity. First line I'll be throwing on it is a RIO 350# Skagit Flight. Looking forward to getting out there!
  14. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    For simplicity sake, the rod line weight doesn't make much difference from a 5wt up. You'll need at least a reel rated as a 7/8 or 8/9 for Scandi/Skagit Heads. For full on Mid/long headed dry lines you'll may well need to go up to 10/11 size reels. The difference is driven by 1)the type of line/backing you're going to stick on same and 2)enough weight to counter balance the rod.

For perspective of the above, the number posted on a reel are for single hander lines, NOT 2handers.

When you get the rod take same down to a shop/store where you can just load on different reels and, with your hand where you'd normally use in the upper hand casting position, does the reel weight/rod balance? When you find that point go up about one ounce heavier in reel weight/size dependent on type of line to be used.

Sounds overly simple, but it works. You want the rod, with the normal amount of line you'd cast out the rod tip, NOT ON THE REEL. If you have to make a choice between 'tip heavy' or tip light ... Go tip Light.

One long day casting on the river will prove my point.
    ;>)