Reels and Rod recommendations for Saltwater Bones, etc

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mdjm66, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

I am planning on heading to the Turks and Caicos in the spring next year and will be fishing for bonefish.
    I have the following reels:
    Lamson Guru 4.0
    Islander LX 3.6
    Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor
    I am pretty sure the islander will do the job as it has handled many large chum and steelhead without and issue.
    I will probably buy a 9 wt 4 pce rod and am looking for recommendations, dont want to break the bank on the rod though.

Also, what types of lines should I be purchasing?

Guides will rent gear, but, would rather have my own that I know I can trust.

Thanks

Dean

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

You need a wf tropic line floater, and a good clear intermediate line at the least.
    In my opinion, a 9wt is a bit overkill. Ive fished the Caymans and the Bahamas for bones, tarpon, permit, barracuda, jacks, etc... and an 8wt did the job splendidly. Schoolie bonefish wont put much of a bend in a 9wt rod. Id look for a used sage RPL+ or RPLX in an 8 wt. Probably a bunch on ebay and they are awesome rods for a super cheap price. A bit slower action than new gen Sage rods, but not too much slower.
    Dont skimp on the fluorocarbon leader/tippet material!!! Those fish are crafty, and youll be glad for the abraision resistance

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Having fished the Turks & Caicos a couple of times, I'd recommend an 8 wt. I used a GLX with a Ross Big Game 4.
    I used an 8 in the Bahamas as well and never felt I needed anything more.
    I used both SA and Cortland tropical floaters, which worked fine.
    Take tan flies, gotchas, crazy charlies, mini puffs both weighted and blind.
    If you are going to be in Provo, be prepared for sticker shock. If you can catch a inter-island flight and fish So Caicos for a day with Beyond the Blue you'll be in for a real treat. The guide Ganger and the ride out to the flats in their Airboat are a great fishing experience. Contact Bibo Jayne at Beyond the Blue to see if the flights schedules still make this possible.

4. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Thanks for the responses, I will probably end up getting an 8 wt, already have a 3 pce, but, its too long to fit in the duffel bag, so, I guess I will shop around for a good solid 4 pce. Might pick up another rod as a backup.

What leader/tippet would you suggest?

Stonefish, did you ever go out on your own around Provo and do some fishing, I have read a few articles that says it is possible.

What would you wear for footwear?

This is my first foray into tropical flyfishing, I know all about the sticker shock in Provo, but, renting a house with another couple is a pretty good way to go.

Thanks again

Dean

5. Stonefish

Dean,
    Yes I fish on my own in Provo. Most of my fishing was in Flamingo lake. There is also a lake on the other side of the road called Turtle lake. It is said to have bones but I never saw any. Flamigo and Turtle are connected by a culvert that runs under the Venetian Rd. Venetion is just off the Leeward Hwy. Drive slowly on Venetian rd. It is bumpy as hell.
    I saw the locals catch a few fish bones out of it using shrimp. Turtle lake is connected to the ocean by a deep canal. The mouth of the canal is right behind Harbour Club Villas. http://www.harbourclubvillas.com/bonefishing.htm
    I saw some jacks in the canal and some large sharks just offshore of the canal mouth. There are some saltwater flats at the end of Turtle Tail and Cooper John Bight.
    Flamingo lake is super soft sand. I wore Simms flats boots. For leader, I just ran 9-12' 10-12 lb test mono.
    The fish there get some pressure, but didn't seem leader shy. Some of the schools of fish were in super shallow water, thus my suggestion of having some blind flies. I hooked a number of them fishing off my knees so I would spook them. I ended up catching as dozen or so bones in Flamingo over two and a half days of fishing.
    Self guided fishing on Provo was a bit of a let down after fishing large firm white sand flats of So. Caicos. I wish I'd been able to fish Provo off a boat but was a bit put off by the $900.00 per day guide rate and the take it or leave it attitude. I understand everything is expensive there due to their tax structure.
    Hope this helps.
    Let me know if you need any further info.
    Brian

6. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Thanks Brian, I probably will fire a few questions your way as we get closer to the date.
    As this is our first trip to the Turks (from the sounds of it, wont be our last), we may have to put the South Caicos on our list for another year.
    My wife has wanted to go to Provo (grace bay) for the last 20 years, I get the bonus of getting the ability to go chase some bonefish, she will probably come along as well.
    The tax structure is pretty crazy down there, dont know how they survive, but, the economy seems to be doing well.

Dean

7. Stonefish

Dean,
    Grace Bay is a really nice area. The beaches are great there.
    Brian

8. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Depending on the dates you are going, shoot me a PM and you can come over and you can borrow my Monic Bonefish FST fly line. It's a clear floater that I use in Hawai'i that can punch good winds and turn over flies.
    As for rods not breaking the bank, as said earlier, a lot of the 'older' model Sages are really nice and are great schoolie rods for skinny water. If you're wanting to go 'newer' in rods and still not break the bank, Redington, TFO, and Echo are all manufacturers that are making great rods at lower price points.
    I actually really like my 8wt Redington Pursuit for skinny water tailers.

9. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

For line i like the wulf bermuda triangle tapper floater

10. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

My experience is an 8wt is right for bones but if you throw to a permit or a jack, you will wish you had something bigger.

11. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and the offer Jordan, will pm you when we get closer to the date.

12. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Having also fished there I agree....as a side note,intermediates really not required for those bones

This was my guide......have him run you down to Middle Caicos or south of that,,,,you will be casting to schools of hundreds of fish.....be prepared to see sharks and have a 10wt handy for Barracuda

http://turksandcaicosbonefishing.com/

13. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

That monic is a great line, I also fish it. Sometimes with the chop and really bright sun on those flats a a line with some color is much easier to track. Those schooled fish spook themselves more than the line tends to spook them. Thats just my obsevation. I also up line my 8wt(sage xi3) to a 9wt.

14. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Yeah, I should note that as well, like Grayone said, that clear lines can be hard to track. I never really found this to be an issue myself but I have heard it from quite a few people.
    I think if you are comfortable enough with casting these lines (practice in a park maybe) and can get the 'feel' for how much line you've shot and how much you've stripped in, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Also agree that no more than an 8 wt is needed for bonefish, and then mainly because of the wind. Having bought most of my single hand rods before I realized I might some day be able to travel for fishing, I've picked up some inexpensive 4 piece rods for traveling. I got a house label 8 wt from The Fly Shop out of Redding, CA that has been a good salt water rod. It's pretty fast action. I also picked up a Cabela's Three Forks - cheapest 4-piece rod I know of - as a $59 backup, and it's better than it should be at that price point.

I'll always take a 10 wt to the tropics for baby tarpon, barracuda, jacks, snook, whatever needs a bigger fly than is comfortable for the 8 wt. I used a Cabela's 3 Forks cheapie in Mexico and then broke it last spring in Belize. Replaced it with a 6-piece smuggler for a few $ more, just for easier packing in my duffel.

I used a regular Cortland 444 peach my first trip to Mexico, but have since bought Rio tropical saltwater lines. They are nice. Saltwater flats fishing gets kind of addicting.

Lots of good info in this thread. I've been to the Bahamas once and would love to return. Good luck and fair winds on your trip!

Sg

16. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Just a heads up, it looks like those Cabelas three forks are on sale for half price right now if you need a couple of cheap backups.

17. Yak

Yak Member

Nice fast 8 wt and a smooth reel. I like my 896 XP with a sage 4580 reel.