Reels.....Best bang for the buck!

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by DBLTAPER, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Jon Viebrock Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...

Carnation, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    You know, people have been reeling in fish with Pfluger medalist reels for years. I would suggest searching craigs list and only buying the old "made in the USA" ones. They were made in Akron Ohio. Every conceivable species of game fish has been reeled in on a medalist. I own lots of fly reels, some really expensive. However, there is a certain attraction to buying medalist reels at garage sales, on craigs list, and so forth. It's a great game, and the good thing is, it's so cheap that your wife won't even get mad at you for doing it.
  2. Jon Viebrock Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...

Carnation, WA
    Furthermore; people need to own up to who they really are and answer to the "real name" thread on the forum. Hiding behind made up names is what little girls with imaginary friends do.............
  3. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    The insights on Medalists were cool.

Funny how a cascade of river closures puts everyone on the rag. Happens every year. I'm feeling it too.
    Bob
  4. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    I opt for the Ross CLA. It's moderatly priced, works smoothly, and has a killer warranty.
  5. cutthroatking screw work lets fish

Rosalia, Washington
    48 posts and calling people out?Why?
    By the way Ross for trout,Lamson for steel.

John Michael Clark
  6. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    If you can find any Lamson Radius out there, they were replaced by the Guru, still an excellent reel for the $. All the Lamson goods, machined, USA, saltwater, conical drag, excellent service, all for under $100 and spools under $50. MRFC still had a few in their last catalog.
  7. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
  8. Jon Viebrock Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...

Carnation, WA
    Yeah, I started on the rag when the closures were announced, but then it really picked up steam when I started taking chantix. No more smoking, but jesus christ, I can be tough to be around...................
  9. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    more unfavorable drug incidents have been reported on Chantix that any other drug this year; digoxin was in second place.
    I went bonkers on Chantix too, and when I tried Zyban I went manic.

Wish they could put the feeling of a sweet loop into a pill...all my vices would go away.
  10. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I can't believe that this thread went more than 5 posts. The answer is a medalist. Made in USA medalists are the best bang for your buck. No other real is close when comparing quality to price.

There are plenty of reasons to buy other reels but bang for the buck it isn't close.

Go Sox,
    cds
  11. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I remember when we used to call that a bad trip...
  12. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    ...with none of the groovy benefits.
  13. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Lamson & Meiser reels both are a great values.

Chantix -If one is truely motivated to quit, it is a miracle drug. If not motivated, you will complain of side effects. Zyban is very stimulating and will cause anxiety and insomia. It works great if you are a former meth addict.
  14. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    i've never used one, but if i were in the the market for a new disk drag reel, i would seriously consider the colton torrent. made in the us, $315 for the 4 in. maybe someone that's used one could chime in.
  15. Jon Viebrock Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...

Carnation, WA
    Wait a minute here........I think that by "digoxin" you actually mean "disoxin" (which is pharmaceutical grade chrystal meth). Furthermore, the sex dreams you get on chantix are SPECTACULAR. Almost like being 25 or 30 again.....................................At least that qualifies as a "groovy benefit"................
  16. shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

45th Parallel NW Michigan
    Ratings: +23 / 1
    What the???? Guess I missed out.. Kicked cold turkey after 15+ years with the help of countless tubes of chewable Mentos mints..

Hated to see Teton close the doors. I've had [and still having] great luck with their reels.
  17. soundflycaster Member

Mossyrock, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Lamson and TFO.
  18. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    As someone else stated, you can never go wrong with the Ross CLA. smooth as butter and great price.
  19. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,612 / 0
    "Wish they could put the feeling of a sweet loop into a pill...all my vices would go away."

Spaz, add a good steelhead tug, and better living thru chemistry would be where it's at.

Meanwhile, Charles is right. The Medalist remains the best bang for the buck among fly reels. Unfortunately, even the 1498 is pretty limiting when it comes to holding Spey lines.

Sg
  20. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Best bang for the buck...................Saltist 40H stardrag ;););)