Refreshing the chironomid box.

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mike Ediger, Feb 7, 2014.

1. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Great Job Mike!
    One of my favs is the pheasant tail mid similar to your red ones. I think Brian Chan is the author of that one, I may not be 100% on that. Tied small, sz 18 with a brush of frog fanny, it makes a killer emerger during warmer weather.
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  2. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +151 / 8
    I think you are right. I think mine are too big, I need fewer fibers for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Here's one of my standards for fishing up in the water column or the shallows. Unweighted with a pheasant tail body. I usually fish it off a slow intermediate line and a "do nothing" retrieve. Just twist enough line to keep it tight.
    IMG_3319.JPG IMG_3320.JPG IMG_3324.JPG
    Kaiserman and Mike Ediger like this.
  4. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    TP, I like those a lot. Is that back one tied with dyed red fibers or just red wire? I like it!
    What size are they?
  5. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Thanks Mike. Super easy tie. The back one is dyed olive pheasant with x-small red wire. Size 14 TMC 2302 hook.
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  6. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Thanks, I have three or four more patterns in the queue, but those will certainly be next!
  7. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    Hey TP, that looks like Antron... but is it "fanned out" more, or did you use less than one bundle? <- Not sure that made sense.

Anyway, those will be perfect for the shallows I'll hit this spring!

I only used chironomids twice (I think) last year, and in the shallows, I got two fish on a brown chiro. That's what really has me going all out this year!

"We" thank you for posting.
    troutpocket likes this.
  8. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Here's how I tie in the antron "gills". Learned from Tim Irish at Worley Bugger a couple years ago. The entire video is good info but the demo on how to create a "swept back split wing" start at 5:00.

Kaiserman likes this.