refurbished Nikon?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by JasonG, Feb 16, 2014.

1. JasonG Active Member

Issaquah Wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    I have been looking at getting a good camera for a while, but the prices are so high. I saw that Nikon has a refurbished section on there website. Has anyone had any experience with one? Thanks Jason
  2. Sterling silver Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Well, Jason, I would look at B&H Photo, or Adorama. Both have
    used as well as refurbished cameras. You should bbe able to find
    something to fists your needs and both are reputable stores. Good
    Luck.
  3. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +516 / 2
    If it was from Nikon directly, I would have no problem with it. If it was from B&H or Adorama, I probably wouldn't have any problems with it. If it were from anywhere else, nope.
  4. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +888 / 1
    I bought a refurbished Nikon D7000 from Kenmore Camera in person, and it was $699. I saved a few hundred bucks.
  5. HelenOster Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

New York, NY
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thank you for the Adorama recommendation!
  6. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    I've purchased refurbished Canon DSLR bodies four times with never a problem (40d, 7d, T3i and 5D Mk iii). Couldn't imagine paying full prices. Good luck.
  7. Cold Member

Ratings: +17 / 0
    I've bought refurb Nikon gear twice. The first time was a 70-300VR through Adorama. The second was a second 70-300VR to replace the first one which was stolen, this time direct from Nikon.

The only issue I had was a malfunctioning VR unit in the first lens. If you had the AF engaged and tried to zoom at the same time, the VR unit would chatter. I contacted Nikon directly and since it was within the 90 day refurb warranty period, it was covered. Nikon was super helpful and even emailed me a prepaid shipping label. I mailed it out and within 10 business days had a perfectly functioning lens back.

As I said, that one was stolen, but the one I got to replace it is over 2 years old with no issues.