refurbished Nikon?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by JasonG, Feb 16, 2014.

1. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

I have been looking at getting a good camera for a while, but the prices are so high. I saw that Nikon has a refurbished section on there website. Has anyone had any experience with one? Thanks Jason

2. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

Well, Jason, I would look at B&H Photo, or Adorama. Both have
    used as well as refurbished cameras. You should bbe able to find
    something to fists your needs and both are reputable stores. Good
    Luck.

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    If it was from Nikon directly, I would have no problem with it. If it was from B&H or Adorama, I probably wouldn't have any problems with it. If it were from anywhere else, nope.

4. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    I bought a refurbished Nikon D7000 from Kenmore Camera in person, and it was $699. I saved a few hundred bucks.

5. HelenOster

HelenOster Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Home Page:
    Thank you for the Adorama recommendation!

6. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

I've purchased refurbished Canon DSLR bodies four times with never a problem (40d, 7d, T3i and 5D Mk iii). Couldn't imagine paying full prices. Good luck.

7. Cold

Cold Member

I've bought refurb Nikon gear twice. The first time was a 70-300VR through Adorama. The second was a second 70-300VR to replace the first one which was stolen, this time direct from Nikon.

The only issue I had was a malfunctioning VR unit in the first lens. If you had the AF engaged and tried to zoom at the same time, the VR unit would chatter. I contacted Nikon directly and since it was within the 90 day refurb warranty period, it was covered. Nikon was super helpful and even emailed me a prepaid shipping label. I mailed it out and within 10 business days had a perfectly functioning lens back.

As I said, that one was stolen, but the one I got to replace it is over 2 years old with no issues.

8. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

Media:
    Refurbished are a good deal -they have warranties so good to go

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I bought a refurbished Canon 60D from Adorama and it looks brand new and works the same. Before I bought the camera, I did some research in regards to "refurbished" on photography sites and discovered some interesting information from an article written by a camera rep.

The term refurbished is a bit misleading... at least for Canon. They are not used cameras that someone sold but normally cameras that someone returns because they wanted a different model. Or, they are display models or models reps take with them for demonstration purposes.

Again, in the case of Canon... if it comes with a Canon warranty, this means that Canon checked out all the functions to make sure it is operating correctly. If it isn't, they don't sell it as refurbished with a warranty but as "rebuilt"... which may or may not include a warranty.

The person who wrote the article indicated that you actually get a better deal for a camera if it is classified refurbished because the company has tested it. They do not do that with each camera that comes off the assembly line so you actually have more of a chance buying a camera with a defect if you buy a new one than if you buy one that is refurbished.

So I bought the refurbished 60D and could not tell that it was used in the least. Because I had such good luck with the camera, I bought a refurbished Canon lens and it was the same deal. It looked and operates like brand new. I could see no evidence that it had ever been used.

Nikon may be different but I doubt it. I know other folks who have bought refurbished computers and have had no problems. As long as the warranty is the same as a new product, I don't see why you shouldn't save some bucks and go with refurbished. If I need any other Canon equipment, I'll go the refurbished route if the product is available as refurbished.

10. Viper97

Viper97 Member

Bought my Canon 7D refurbished works like a champ two years later.

11. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    Don't rule out Pentax. More camera for your money in my opinion.

KerryS likes this.
  12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really like the 645Z. If I could afford a medium format dslr it would be the 645. I also like their Q System mirrorless offerings and one of them may be my next camera purchase. The bulk and weight of a traditional slr camera is becoming more and more of a burden to me.

13. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, if photography ever became more than a hobby for me the 645z would be a no brainer. 20-50% of the cost of the other medium format players like Hasselblad or Phase One, with IQ on par or better. Still, $8,500 is too big a chunk for just a hobbyist like myself. I've heard mixed things about the Q system. Good for the price, but still far away in quality from the major mirrorless players like Fuji and Sony. I think Pentax really shines with their aps-c dslr's. The K-3 is probably the best aps-c out there. They did recently announce that they are doing a full frame in the coming years.

14. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Glad to see some love for Pentax. Very happy with my K5 and K3! Weather sealed body and lenses at "reasonable" cost compared to the big boys.

A cell phone pic of one of my lenses this summer. I think it was a sign, telling me to stop taking so many pictures and get out and fish!
    [​IMG]