Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Regal Vise Projectiles

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  kelvin 
#1 ·
Anyone else experience hooks being launched across the room from your regal vise? I've tied with the vise for about 10 years now and really like it, but occasionally I'll clamp a hook and before I start wrapping thread, hear a snap and then some faint noise somewhere in the room. Usually it's when I'm trying to leave as much of the bend exposed to get clear access on small size and small gap hooks. I probably should find another with micro jaws, but I'm lazy and cheap. The jaws are sound, no slop or wobble... curious if others have this problem.

Some of the escapee's are found with the wife's metal detector, others by the vacuum and some are simply gone for all time. :)

#2 ·
I have a Traveler vise but I replaced the stock jaws with the stainless steel offering. I wanted something that would work better with smaller flies. I don't tie on this as often as my Peak, but haven't yet had that issue. I bought it to be used as, you guessed it a travel vise. Not sure if I'm just getting lucky in hook placement, if the jaws corrected it or what. Apparently, it's a widely known issue. Regal has a page on their website devoted to hook placement.

http://www.regalvise.com/hook_placement.html

On a positive note, at least none of them are finding your feet.

#4 ·
Anyone else experience hooks being launched across the room from your regal vise? I've tied with the vise for about 10 years now and really like it, but occasionally I'll clamp a hook and before I start wrapping thread, hear a snap and then some faint noise somewhere in the room. Usually it's when I'm trying to leave as much of the bend exposed to get clear access on small size and small gap hooks. I probably should find another with micro jaws, but I'm lazy and cheap. The jaws are sound, no slop or wobble... curious if others have this problem.

Some of the escapee's are found with the wife's metal detector, others by the vacuum and some are simply gone for all time. :)
Freestoneangler,
This can happen with the Regal. It can happen when the hook is not placed properly in the vise. Note there is a small groove cut on the inside on one of the jaws (depends on model you have). This is what can cause the snap and occasionally a launch. If you will look on the instructions provided by Regal, the suggest wearing safety glasses.:)
Jack

#10 ·
The Defense Department is looking into using Regal vises as weapons :)

Yup, it happens. Many of my fly tying buddies use Regal vises and when we held our weekly fly tying sessions, every now and then, a partial hook became a beer seeking missile. I got so I'd duck each time I'd see one of the guys clamp a hook into his Regal.

#12 ·
Keep in mind that there is a great deal of pressure exerted by the jaws in that type of vise. It doesn't feel like it because we are using leverage to spread the jaws. If the hook is not in right it could be a problem. I have used Regals for many years and like them very much. I recently purchased the stainless steel model but haven't tried it yet.
Duck and cover!
Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.