Remington 7400 308

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by andrew, Apr 4, 2011.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Ok I need some help on a decision here...I'm considering trading a Remington 11-87 12 ga. 3" Premier for a Remington 7400 308 synthetic. I can't really find any bad rap other than cycling issues with low base cartridges, but the same review stated that it fired Remington factory loads just fine. Also, it stated that they would not use this rifle beyond 150 yards; which I can't imagine a 308 being limited to 150 yards...maybe with open sites.

I'm trying to venture out of the feather world and into the fur bearing and this trade seems like an easy way without any money exchange.

Lastly, I've tried to find a used price for my shotgun, however, can't seem to get a good lock on it...can anyone help me with this? I bought the gun brand new 17 years ago and it only has a minor ding on the stock, other than that it is spotless and cycles perfectly.

2. ribka

ribka Active Member

I have an 11-87 Premier too and the value in the condition you described would be around $400-450 per Gunbroker.

Personally I would hang on to it or sell it and purchase a different rifle than the 7400 Rem. That rifle is designed more for deep woods whitetail deer type hunting. Hunting out west shots typically further and would go with a bolt action and think 30-06, 270, 7 mm or if you can handle recoil 300 mag. Can check out short mags too

Tikka, Savage or even Weatherby. For around $500 pick up a nice rifle. Throw on a 3x9 nikon scope and can hunt anything out West.

3. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Good advice that Ribka.

4. wet line

wet line New Member

With all the current hype on ultra mags and short mags one can find some really good buys and especially 30.06's.
    A few years ago I ran across a Remington 700 BDL with box mag and good iron sights for $200. It was in brand new condition! There wasn't any shell case marking on the bolt face nor any marks on the magazine plate.

I added some Leupold quick detachable rings and a Burris scope.

A set of open sights is a good thing. Scopes don't work well in fog nor heavy rain. Having some open sights has saved more than one day of hunting for me.

Many advantages to the .06, There is a huge range of loads available. The premium high energy loads are pretty amazing performance wise. The other thing is that you can find ammo almost anywhere when you forget to bring it along. That eventually happens to evryone at one time or another.

Dave

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I spotted a mod 700 BDL 30-06 in a pawn shop for $250.00 new condition.
    It's not that I don't like auto loaders, it's just to easy to pitch a bunch of lead when not needed.
    I think the 308 is a good all round for western game.

6. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thanks all for the comments. My new 'want' is a Ruger Gunsight Scout in 308. Supposedly the shorter barrel only reduces velocity slightly, however, accuracy with big glass mounted on the rear rings has been proven out to 800 meters (according to reviewers). 10 round magazine seems ridiculous, but read you can get a 5 round too.

To many choices! bawling:

7. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

better sew that pocket up.

8. andrew

andrew Active Member

Scottflycst - curious what have you heard about these rifles?

9. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I concur with Ribka.
    The gunsite is kind of cool, but I love my M77. why so many rounds? I picked up my .06 for 200 bucks with a weaver 4x,
    .308 is adequate for most hunting, but not out to 800 meters. Silhouette shooting or long range targets at 1000m is fun, but at that distance you're talking match grade ammo and you sure ain't hunting. Personally, I'd not shoot that caliber beyond about 200m, and then only if I had a perfect shot.

10. andrew

andrew Active Member

I ended up keeping the 11-87...as my good friend said "never can have too many guns!"...I purchased new a Thompson Center Arms Venture in 308 win. It got me into big game for under 500, has a lifetime warranty, made in USA, and is 1 MOA certified. As Ribka suggested I intend on puting a Nikon prostaff 3X9X40.

BTW - I handled the Ruger Scout and was imediately turned off by how sloppy the bolt was when fully open, whereas my 2/3 the cost Venture is smooth as butter!

11. ribka

ribka Active Member

Wise choice. Will be happy you kept the 11-87

For the price range the Venture is a great buy

12. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Think you made a great call there Andrew!

13. andrew

andrew Active Member

I mounted the scope and bore sighted last night. Just need to get it on paper now, which I have a question about. A buddy of mine told me to 'season' the barrel or maybe it was 'condition'...needless to say the procedure consists of firing-cleaning, firing-cleaning, fire a group of three - cleaning, fire a group of five -cleaning, and then good to go (or something to the effect). Anyway, this is my first rifle and I want to do it right, however, I've only ever heard of seasoning/conditioning a wok and a brand new engine. Any thoughts?

14. Philster

Philster Active Member

Search "breaking in a barrel" and you'll get all the info you need. I always start out with the best intentions, but at some point, I hit the "close enough!" point... I'm just not that disciplined or dedicated.