Removing a Lamson Konic spool

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dipnet, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

So, due to a bout of pneumonia and then throwing out my lower back I haven't wetted a line since before Thanksgiving.

Finally got out today and when my buddy and I hit the beach I wanted to pop off my intermediate line spool and replace it with the spool with a floater.

Do you think I could get that friggin' thing off? No way!!!

For those that don't know, you have to thumb press the spool off a Konic.

Granted, due to some minor arthritis I don't have the hand strength I once had but shoot, you'd think I could change spools wouldn't you?

I dipped the danged thing into the water and then tried again but no joy. So I decided to toss a Miyawaki popper with the intermediate but wasn't happy about it. Got tired of the popper going subsurface and eventually switched to a Blair's Baiter and did get a nice 14" SRC to hand.

After about an hour I tried to pop the spool again and it finally released and I was able to fish my floater.

So did I make a mistake in letting the spool with the intermediate line sit on the reel for the last 3 1/2 months? Is that what made it so difficult to get off? I fish the salt a lot and always pull off the spool and then rinse and soak the components in warm tapwater. Should I not put the spool back on the reel if I'm not going to fish for awhile?

2. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I had a similar experience with mine over the weekend. I think mine was just cold. Every time I pop off a Konic spool my fingers hurt. It is an awesome reel, but I prefer a spool release button or lever.

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I can't get mine off either. I pushed so hard I thought I something was going to break.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  4. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    It's not intuitive at all. I've got several Lamsons, all with the same design feature. I can get 'em off, but only after a review of the info that came with the reels. Like triploidjunkie, I'm always afraid I'm going to break something.

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I've got an old Lamson V2 with a spare spool.. love the reel, but hate having to pull like a SOB to get it off.. the newer ones have room to push the spool out from the back of the reel but mine doesn't.. luckily I have many other reels I can use that I don't have to fight with so much!

6. Theron

Theron Active Member

I have two Lamson reels. The spools are difficult to remove but I have never not been able to remove a spool. I have to look at the reel carefully to decide which side to push/pull on but it can be done.

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Ive always thought that was a ridiculous design. I love my Lamson reels but hate that patticular feature.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I solved this problem by not buying a spare spool. I'm trying to remember when Berkeley had the plastic fly reels that were all the rage. I think it was the late 70's. I had them in two sizes, a 6 and an 8. The 6 was an easy one to take the spool off of but I broke the frame of the 8 attempting to remove a spool.

9. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I love my Lamson Litespeed, but the spool pop-off design could be improved. At on point I couldn't get the spool off and was afraid I was going to bend or break it, so I ended up sending it in. (If I remember there was a video on their website about it.) Lamson replaced the entire hub/sealed drag assembly that the spool fits on at no cost. This was a couple of years ago and I don't recall what the said the problem was, but I've had no problems since then. And, they covered everything at no cost.

It's a great reel - very light weight with an incredibly smooth drag.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  10. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I have and fish several Lamson reels and have spare pool (s) for almost all of them. The very first Lamson I got was a demo used in a fishing school and I had hard time getting the spool off. This is not rocket science they take a very minimal amount of maintance like just about any reel. One the spindle use a very slight about of Quantum Hot Sauce, it is the red grease. Never use oil type product or you can damage the clutch/bearing. Once a year pop off the spool and lube the spindle, I never have an issue getting the spool off now. I actually like the design better than the catch. You can remove the spool with gloves. I have had a spool fall off in the river (glad it was not a lake) when I put the spool on (catch type) and though it was on but not seated right. I also like the fact that you can easily flop the clutch/bearing making it easy to switch from rhw to lhw. Since the clutch/bearing is about the only thing that can go wrong with the reel, I carry an extra. Lastly this is a small regional company with a great warranty and that are terrific to deal with. No I don't have any interested in Lamson, just like their reels

11. Dipnet

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt! I was afraid I'd break or bend something. I might just give LD's suggestion a try.

Actually trip, after re-reading your post I'm not sure if you're talking about your reel or your love life! ;)

Steve, I wish you could remember what problem your reel had. It's the shits gettin' this "old timers" disease isn't it???

12. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    I found I had to hold my Speedster with both hands by the frame; with the drag knob up. I place Both thumbs on the spool, reaching through the frame, and push the spool down and out with my two thumbs. Oh, and I try to hold the spool above something soft in case the spool pops out of the frame. It's pretty easy once I figured it out. Sometimes I am smarter than the box.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

13. Dipnet

That is the technique as recommended by the company:

Q – How do I remove the spool on my reel?
    Important: do not remove the drag knob or the black nut with two small holes in it.
    A – Hold the reel in your hands with the drag knob facing you. Place your finger tips around the edge of the reel case and place your
    thumbs in the ports against the spool. Push the spool away from the case. You will feel the reel “click” as the o-ring unseats from its groove. Withdraw the spool from the body.

And that's exactly what I did but still had a bugger of a time!

14. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    Double post.

15. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    I haven't had a single problem taking my 6 weight Konic 2 spool out.
    :confused:

I grab the frame with one hand (just using my finger tips), spool in the other hand, hold the reel close to my chest and pull it apart.

Makes a sucking/popping sound, hope I haven't screwed up my reel.

16. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:

Now they charge $20 for warranty repair. I've got a Litespeed sitting on my desk that I need to send in. Not only will the spool not come off, but there is drag in both directions too. I used to be a big fan of Lamson, but I've had more problems with them over the years than any other reels I own. I'm at a point where if I can't fully field strip and reassemble a reel with a screwdriver, I don't really want anything to do with it.