Renegade: Motor mount straps

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by sportsman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Made up all straps myself; Strapworks.com supplied hardware. Polyester straps are the best to use and Stainless Steel, only way to go for the salt. These cam straps are far superior to standard equipment and for the price they should be. Larger thumb area, better spring and they hold much better. I can tighten the mount even with a fully inflated raft. When removing the mount I only back the straps off an inch or so, quick to put back on. The 'foot pegs' are for canes, $2.00 apiece at Rite Aid. BLUE: you will see from the pictures that a crossbar is missing on my mount compared to yours, made it harder to figure how to rig it. I was going to add a couple small D-rings in back, but the way I did it works. First picture shows that 2 straps are sewn onto the mount and a cam buckle for the center strap is also sewn. I installed 2 1/4" eye bolts in the bracket for the 'top' strap, kind of pulls against the center strap, which has a 2" hook in it to grab the back D-ring. I'll probably add something after I post this.

Attached Files:

Blue likes this.
  2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Genius! You did a fantastic job!
    A friend of mine cut the drain holes a little bigger and took two straps through each hole then around both braces on the mount. Hard to describe but basically around the end of the pontoon/ Pretty clean and held well, but not sure if there was a side to side wear. I guess if it was strapped on soft them tightened the finish inflating. He still used the back D ring.

3. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Thanks Blue for the kind words. I spent as much time drawing diagrams and scratching my head as building it!

4. Milanmark

Milanmark New Member

So I just got my motor mount for my Renegade which had been back ordered... didn't get any instructions then I remembered this post... Did you come up with your own system for salt water, to improve it or? I have no idea how to attach it other than your pics! Thanks!

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have one of the first motor mounts, so I have one more cross bar on mine. I do put mine on soft then fill it up, hooking the back D ring first. I can lift my boat up by the motor mount because it is that tight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I came up with the dog clips to make it quick and easy...it works great. I use the motor mount on all my boats except the Fuzion.

6. Milanmark

Milanmark New Member

Thanks! That pic helps for sure and I picked up the dog clips already, anything to speedup setup!
    Gonna work on putting everything together this week. Sorry but I have another question, with the motor mount on where/how do I mount the Scotty Anchor mount? I've see it addressed somewhere but can't remember where or what they did. Do you have any solutions? Thanks!

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't use an Anchor with a motor, but my Hubby made a larger mounting board for the motor mount that did work.
    [​IMG]

8. Milanmark

Milanmark New Member

Sportsman would you have done it this way if you had the extra crossbar like Blue has? I finally got mine all rigged up tonight to tryout tomorrow. My first thought was add a crossbar! Now that I strapped mine down I can see why you did what you did a little better. Will try it out a coupla times before I do anything rash but I'm leaning towards adding a cross bar... I like your way also...

Tomorrow:
    * Will tryout the electric motor!
    * Will time how long the 18AH battery lasts! 12 lbs, love the weight, will see how many I need to bring along! GPS will give me time, distance and speed.
    * Oars are fixed so blades are straight up and down, side bag moved back a bit so oar doesn't hit, will see if improved
    * Try out my K200 pump, so far awesome!
    * See what else need to be "fixed" to my liking!
    Almost time for kings in the Betsie! Also want to try this out in the Muskegon, they are getting Skams right now.

This forum has been so helpful! Not many pontoons in Michigan!