Renzetti Apprentice reviews

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Simplebugger, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Simplebugger

Simplebugger Member

Hey guys. I'm a new to the fly tying game and looking for a vise. I know quality matters and I don't want to skimp but I don't have a fortune to throw at it. I was checking out the Renzetti Apprentice and was wondering if anybody has anything good/bad/indifferent to say about it or has any other suggestions that won't break the bank. Thanks.

2. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

While this doesn't exactly answer your question...

One thing most vises have in common today is they are far, far better than they actually need to be. Like a lot of others, I started tying on the good 'ol Thompson model "A." Pretty crude by today's standards but I'd venture that more flies have been turned out using this vise than most others combined. Really all a vise has to do is hold the hook securely. We're not splitting atoms here after all. So back to your question...

I think that particular Renzetti would do just dandy for you. Griffin also makes several excellent vises for less than $100.00.

PS: it's the "little" stuff that matters most. Spend the money on a good bobbin and quality scissors, and quality materials...

3. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

The nice feature about that vise is that it is rotary to the extent that you can turn your fly without removing it from the vise. This is an important and desired feature in a vise. It will allow you to see the "far side" of your fly and also make it easier to tie materials on the underside of the hook. It doesn't allow true rotary tying but that is not that important for you now, I think. There are so many good vise choices today and Renzetti products are among the best.
    Hope this helps.
    Jack
    I used a pair of vise-grips when I first started.
    J

4. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    As mentioned above it will get the job done, as will many other vices but IMO if I was going to spend $100+ I'd spend a little more and get a travelers, and be done with it, you'll never need to upgrade and you will immediately see the benefits of a true rotory vice.

BakerSean1 and Big_E like this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I agree with Mark. I'd go with the Traveler. After I upgraded to a cam lock, it is one of my favorite vises. Takes up very little room and is a rotary style.

I also started with a Thompson Model A vise... oddly enough, the flies I tie today with the expensive rotary vises don't look any better than the ones I tied using the inexpensive Thompson Model A :)

6. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    <insert mad evil snicker>

The cost of the vice is the least of your money worries if you get addicted to flytying...

Mark Mercer likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

True that. Especially when teenage girls start buying up all the dry fly quality hackle feathers to weave into their hair so the price of chicken feathers goes through the roof. .. chicken feathers.

8. Simplebugger

Simplebugger Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to go with the Renzetti.