Repairing a spey line...need advice

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by boxcar, Mar 23, 2005.

1. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

I recently noticed a pronounced crack in my Rio Mid Spey just above where the dark green running line meets the back portion of the yellow floating line. I've fished the line perhaps 3 dozen times and have also noticed some wear and damage to the coating of the last 12" of running line. My gut solution is to cut the junction of the running and floating head lines at the cracked portion of the floating line, eliminate the 12" section of damaged running line and whip a braided mono loop onto each terminal end of the line. I see this as being the best fix, but before I go hacking up a perfectly good (and expensive) spey line, does anyone else have any advice?

I appreciate your comments and feedback.

2. yakcanyon

yakcanyon Banned or Parked

scott-
    send it back to Rio and they will take good care of you. :)

3. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I second the above statement. SEND IT BACK...you won't regret it with the folks at Rio.

:thumb:

4. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I've heard that Rio had some problems with their running line recently, and have changed the design to solve it - probably just what caused your cracks. I agree that the best solution is to return it to Rio. However, for future reference, if you ever need to repair or modify a line, it's useful to know how to make a blind splice, which creates a strong, smooth connection. It's a tricky procedure, beyond description here (but directions can be found online, probably in the Spey Pages archives; use the search function). It involves pin vise, floss, and thin Crazy Glue (no kidding!).

5. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll be sending it back to Rio. I just spent 2 days on the Skagit/Sauk and had to apply liberal amounts of UV Knot Sense every couple of hours to the cracked areas where the line coating was peeling away. The good news is, the line managed to hold out for one last trip, a 13 lb. chrome native on the Skagit, a surprisingly bright, but ever-so-skinny and pathetic 5 lb. hatchery kelt, and a handful of dollies. I can hardly wait for a replacement line to go back out. Looks like lake fishing is on the agenda for next weekend.