replacing a broken guide

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by mike doughty, Dec 29, 2006.

1. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    i broke one today and was wondering what is the easiest way to replace one. it is the one right below the tip top.:(

2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Heat the wraps gently - I've used a hair dryer - and then cut into the finish with a razor blade, keeping it parallel to the blank. Do not cut into the blank. Sometimes you can grab a piece of the thread and unwind, especially if CP was used on the wrap. The CP keeps the epoxy finish from adhering the wrap to the blank. If no CP was used, it will likely be more difficult. Scrape away the old finish and wraps slowly, again don't cut into the blank. The area will likely looked scuffed when done, but you will cover the area again with the new wrap so not a big issue. If you made the rod yourself, you should have some left over thread of the right color and finish.

I removed a wrap this way earlier this year and it was very simple, but I had used CP and the finish was only about two months old.

Hope this helps. You might want to try a search on the rodbuilders board site as that is where I learned of this method.

Wayne

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    How did you break a guide?

4. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    throwing a streamer with a split shot, and long leader so it was kind of a bitch to throw anyways, a little breeze and i heard the split shot smack my rod. thanks for the tip wayne

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    So is the guide still attached to the rod, or did it rip free? Also, was it a single or double foot guide?

6. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    it's still attached, just broke and it is a double foot guide

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    When cutting it off then, use the guide itself to cut into... holding the razor horizontally to the guide foot cut into the thread going towards the eye of the guide. This way you can't accidentally slip and cut into the blank.

Also as for stripping the finish off the guide, use very gentle heat. The suggestion for a blow drier is a good one. DO NOT use anything to hard as it will dig into the finish. I generally either use my thumbnail or a cheapy plastic spoon. Finally not matter what you do, be prepared for a bit of the finish to potentially come off. Sometimes the bond between the blank and the finish is less than the bond between the finish and the guide foot coating.

-- Cheers
    -- James

PS If you're *REALLY* brave and feel like you have a steady hand, a really sharp razor and a lot of time can be used to remove the epoxy. I have ruined blanks this way before, but the results tend to be much cleaner.

8. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Now this may get badly flamed, but I have always used a rag soaked in acetone wrapped around it for a few minutes. It will soften it up giving you a chance to peel it off, or at worst, cut it away a lot easier. Then once it is all gone, a few rubs with the rag on the blank, and it is like it never had a guide on it. I have done this for years, and never had a problem with a blank in any way...

9. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    thanks for all the info. ladies, i will haven't had a chance to repair it yet, but will kepp these good suggestions in mind whehn i do.

10. Mark Ritari

Mark Ritari Trouthunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    If your rod has a lifetime waranty u might want to contact the manufacturer. when i broke a guide of my tfo doing the same thing as you, i called tfo to see if it would affect my warrany if i fixed it myself. They said the warranty would be void. Sooo i had to pay 25 for something that wouldve been next to nothing to repair... and more importantly had to use my POS rod for 2 weeks during the primo part of the season.

11. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    it's a rod i built myself so i don't think the warranty would apply. i'll just fix it when i get a chance and be done with it.

12. JakeMcGuire

JakeMcGuire New Member

I have been working on replacing some guides on one of my 6 Wt fly rods. They became loose for some reason (probably due to getting caught on brush or in storage). - No there isn't any warranty on this rod.

I had gotten the old guides and wraps off cleanly.

I have been doing some research on this and the brand and type to use would be Gudebrod Nylon Thread.

They have a:

Gudebrod Nylon Thread - Size A
    Gudebrod Nylon Thread - Size D

What would be the difference and size should I use?

13. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    Use size A thread. The size D is usually only used for wraps on heavy duty saltwater gear rods and decorative butt wraps occasionally. It has a larger diameter.
    -Ethan

14. JakeMcGuire

JakeMcGuire New Member

TYVM!